Dog goes for slimming challenge

Dunc

A dog that weighs more than nine stone and needs to lose the equivalent of 51 tins of dog food is to go head to head in a weight loss challenge.

Alfie, who lives in Edinburgh, has been chosen to go up against seven other obese pets in a bid to slim down for the PDSA veterinary charity contest.

The seven-year-old German Shepherd was "skin and bone" when he was adopted by his owner, Helen Smith, of Southhouse.

Vets said Alfie should weigh about six stone.

Alfie, who is 55% overweight, is being put on a a 100 day diet and fitness programme as part of the PDSA's Pet Fit Club competition.

PDSA vets and nurses at the Edinburgh PetAid hospital will create a specially tailored plan for Alfie, to help him shift his excess inches.

'Puppy-dog eyes'

Mrs Smith, 51, admits she used to spoil her beloved dog.

She said: "When I adopted Alfie three years ago he was skin and bone.

"He hadn't been cared for properly and you could see every one of his ribs. I wanted to feed him up and spoil him with his favourite foods, but it got to the point where I couldn't say no to his puppy-dog eyes."

Alfie used to enjoy munching his way through biscuits, toast, cheese and the family's leftovers - on top of his daily large tin of dog .

Mrs Smith added: "I want my Alfie to have a long and happy life.

"I know German Shepherds are prone to joint problems and carrying excess weight will only make that worse. I'm hoping that PDSA Pet Fit Club will help him lose flab so we can have many more years together."