listen to me outside?

Hey guys,

does anyone know how to train my baby to listen to me when we're outside walking to prevent her from being overexcited and start barking at other dogs? so other owners wouldn't give me the cut eye =S i tired using treats outside, it works.... but she wouldn't listen when she sees another dog

thanks guy

I would take her out on frequent short walks. Carry lots

of treats with you. While walking, call her to you, and make

her sit. When she follows your commands, give her a treat.

This will get her in the mindset that when you call her, and

she listens, she will be rewarded. The more frequently you

do it, the better she will be around other people and animals.

I would also take her to places where she can be exposed

to other dogs so you can work with her manners around

other dogs.

I have been doing this with Echo, and she has been VERY

good about meeting new dogs and people, and continuing our

walk when I am ready to move on from a person or animal :)

It takes a lot of time and patience! I hope I helped :D

Cesar gets a little over excited sometimes when we're on walks, so I keep him close to me to let him know I'm in control. He's been a lot better with listening once I've established that I'm the "alpha" so to speak. Treats don't work with my two, only firm correction and assertiveness (sp?)

Think of the other dog as a trigger that will set off her excitement.

For every trigger our dog responds to, they do so within a certain threshold. To determine her threshold think about how far way she needs to be from the other dog before reacting. It could be three metres, it could be ten or twenty.

Start training a look command, but only start doing so outside of her threshold. Once that is sold (i.e. she will look at you as soon as you give the command, and can hold the look for several seconds) start to ask her to look just within her threshold - so ask her to look at that point just before she would start to get excited. Get that solid, then slowly decrease the distance from other dogs. If she gets so excited by the sight of another dog that she ignores the command, turn around and walk away until she calms down then ask for a look command and then reward BIG.

Any time we do distraction training, we need to take into account our dogs threshold around distractions. Don't ask her to look when she's past the threshold and is already beside herself with excitement - walk her away, calm her down and then ask for focus. You need to take it slowly and build her ability to focus gradually. Always follow the rule of time before distance before distraction - work on the length of time she can focus; then decrease the distance from the distraction.

Cesar gets a little over excited sometimes when we're on walks, so I keep him close to me to let him know I'm in control. He's been a lot better with listening once I've established that I'm the "alpha" so to speak. Treats don't work with my two, only firm correction and assertiveness (sp?)

Are they interested in treats at home?

Don't forget that any balanced trainer needs to praise and reward as well as correct their dogs :)