Nylon Leash vs Retractable - Best of both worlds

I wanted to share my recent purchase and how it has helped me train with my 15 month old sib.

We used to use a retractable lead all the time when he was younger and had less strength. Now; however, I find it hard to use cause I can't grip it very well and the handle can be awkward to hold if he starts pulling (it's not the best obedience tool).

So I normally would use a 6 ft nylon lead on our walks.

Pro: It kept him near me and gave me more control.

Con: He didn't get the length/freedom of a longer leash.

To attain what I wanted from both type of leads, I decided to purchase a 15 foot nylon training lead. Although it does not retract, I can easily wind, and unwind it around my hand. If he begins pulling I have way more control than trying to reel in a retractable lead. It also allows me more freedom when I want to let him run around without having him off leash. For instance, he enjoys fetching sticks when thrown into the water. All i do is drop the lead and let him to his thing. The nice part is, even if I drop the lead, he won't run far away! He knows he is still attached to a lead. And even if he began to stray, I can grab the end of the lead with ease.

Extended length nylon training leads can be purchased in a variety of lengths for, usually, under $15. I find them to be the best of both worlds and recommend them to anyone looking for the length of a retractable lead, but the control of a nylon lead.

i use a 50ft one when on the field near me, they're great and easy to wrap round when walking near main roads to keep them safe :)

I've just started using this - http://www.countryhounds.ie/Product.aspx?product=210 which has a bungee in it to help with the jarring when they pull - it's amazing how different my boys are on it they don't pull!!!!!

949_27f78af58a563ed4876ea371d23dac98.jpg

I use a 50ft one too in open spaces, gives him some freedom and me the piece of mind that he can't run off,( pain in the *** in the woods though, i'm constanly weaving in and out of trees :)) when were in the street i use an ezydog vario 6, cool lead, can be 6ft or 3ft, a double for 2 dogs, handsfree and a long and short tether.