Experience with DCM and vetmedin?

Delene

Hi,

Teddy (10yrs old male) was just diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). His symptoms are basicly weak and barely eating/drinking and moving.

He received vetmedin and furosemine (diuretic) yesterday. Yesterday he ate a little bit. This morning he just drank a bit water and did not eat. My question is, what are your experiences with this disease and medicine? I am very worried. 

our boy Jake (GSD) <--- that is him in the picture had this and with his medicine he went on for a good 9 months, it did take a few (lots of) days for the meds to have any effect..we just had to keep him from over exhausting himself... hence he was in the bike trailer and me doing a lot of hard work....

Was he also weak and barely moving the first few days? How old was he? Like it will take a week for it to work? I know each dog is an individual. And did he have good quality of life? Like a normal slow walk for a senior dog? I dont want him to sleep 24/7 either or be weak. Sorry for so many questions. 

I am going to buy chiken boil it with rice and feed him tonight see if he will eat it. I hope he feels better in a few days. 

Yes he was weak and did not want to do a lot he was nearly 10... when the medicine kicked in he had a good quality of life and he passed away due to complications related to other sickness...

chicken and rice he loved especially with the rice cooked in the chicken water...

This gives me some relief. My insides are all in shambles seeing him like this. But it gives me hope espscially if he can perk up within a few days. He was playing running jumping perfectly and then by night time he was barely moving. 

Yes, they love the rice boiled with the chicken and chicken legs. I will definitely treat him with it tonight. 

A pic of him some time before his diagnosis.

IMG_20191016_131057_181.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 2 weeks and he is still basically the same. He walks a bit, stops his head is hanging low and he generally stares without reacting to anything, after a few moments he like comes back and resumes walking a few steps before again stopping and staring. There's no reaction, you can all his name do anything he just freezes there and isn't responsive till a minute or two and he resumes. He is generally still weak and isn't eating much. He does drink more now that he is on diuretics. I am going to make another appointment with the vet. I am going to ask for them to do more tests because 2 weeks and I'm barely seeing improvements.

I'm noticing he is panting all the time and is also licking his lips a lot. He does not cough either.

Archived