Inflammatory bowl disease

JessicaJenson

Yep. My Bear was just under two years old when she first became sick. She’s going to be seven this July and whilst it’s been a long journey, she’s doing well.

Food is important to help prevent flair ups, for example Bear can’t have bones or anything else that doesn’t digest easily as the particles will irritate her bowel and cause a flair up of symptoms. I have found that food for sensitive tummies and grain free foods to be the best for her.

Medicine wise she is on steroids every other day. Not all dogs will need this as sometimes food changes alone can help but Bear’s case was pretty severe so she needed the additional support.

It can pretty scary to see your dog poop a ton of blood and generally feel so sick and in the early days I was so upset and overwhelmed at times but you do adjust and now I’m used to it and just do what needs to be done without getting panicky over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thanks for your reply Emma, Jenson was diagnosed just around about when he turned three. Through many tests it confirmed he had infant inflammatory bowl disease. We changed his diet to Hills Z/D and is currently on 2MG of steroids per day. We also put pro biotic in his food at night and give him a vitamin B12 tablet every morning. 

Perviously at my old vets before leaving, the vets had him on 20MG of tablets per day, this was causing excessive muscle deterioration. It got so bad he nearly slipped away from us :( 

Sorry to hear that. Bear has been up and down on various doses but what works best for her is 25 mg every other day. That’s better on the body as it still has to produce cortisol on its own on the days she’s not taking it. She’s a mixed breed dog and around 42kg (she’s a biiiiiig dog! Much larger and broader than a pure husky, Lol) which is why she’s able to tolerate that dose. Incidentally the vets said that for her weight, that the dose she’s on is relatively low but I can totally understand how a smaller dog would suffer greatly on that dose.

There is another drug we tried called salazopyrin (or similar) it’s an old school drug, a giant orange pill but unfortunately that one didn’t work out well for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived