Help with bed time

MyloxGx

So Mylo is nearly 6 month old, he has been crate trained from day 1 and was always more than happy to go in his crate at bed time which is always around 10pm, some nights he would need out for the toilet but some he would sleep through until morning and we never had an problems, we encourage his to do a pee before bed. About a month ago Mylo caught an infection and had an upset stomach so for 3 nights I slept on the couch with him so when he needed out for the toilet he wouldn't need to wait on me getting up as he was needing out every 30 mins to begin with. After about a week he was over it and back to normal. The problem is every time he goes in his crate at bed time which he is still more than happy to do, he even waits for me to bring his biscuit (which I have always given a small handful of biscuits at bedtime). Once he has finished these biscuits he starts howling, it gets louder and louder and he won't stop, the longest I have left him is an hour hoping he would fall asleep but eventually I have had to get up as I am worried about my elderly neighbour and the noise. To start with I would get up and settle him then head back to bed but he would start howling again. I know I shouldn't have but eventually I ended up on the couch and let him sleep next to me. This has been around a month and you name it we have tried it but he just won't settle. He settles no problem during the day when he is in his crate when no one is home as we have recorded him so I think it is when he knows we are home. Every night myself or my partner end up on the couch with him. I did try giving him long lasting chew bones and that kind of worked as he would fall asleep after chewing but he would only sleep for an hour then the howling would start again. We take him out for walks throughout the day and an extra long walk at night then relaxed playing to settle before bed but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

As he is still a puppy and likes to chew everything we don't want to leave him out of the crate on his own at night in case he chews something that could cause him harm, we also can't have him upstairs in our room as it is to hot upstairs for him.

He is his usual happy cheeky self during the day but this all started after he wasn't well.

Has anyone has similar problems or any advise/ help/ tips would be great as I am willing to try anything.

as he is a pup and now know how to get around you LOL the only thing I can think of is to start crate training again.. speak to your neighbour with a nice box of chocolates as a bribe... 

Yes he knows exactly how to play us now lol Ye starting at the beginning again is a good idea. I will be going to the shop today for a box of chocolate for her, she has said that she understand as she has had dogs all her life and she doesn't really hear him but I don't believe her and my other neighbour 3 doors done said he has heard him but he just got a pup himself so I don't feel to bad about that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Funnily enough this is not dis similar to an experience i posted about on here last week. Mine is 7 months and recently started waking up to get attention from his crate. I think this was down to the heat but i also think part of it was just being naughty and as people say, knowing how to get around you. These dogs are clever, if they howl and you come, there you go, that works and they do it again.

I got out of it (it seems) by using what i call the supernanny approach (used on supernanny for kids), if he howls and barks, i give him a few minutes, get up go to him, don't talk. I let him out and see if he needs the toilet etc. If he doesn't i will tell him to go to bed. If he ignores me i take him. (chance 1). Second time i simply open the cage door (as i now know he is just messing) I tell him off and say no. Time to go to sleep.
First night he must have got me up 5-6 times. But after i tell him sternly he has stopped.

This may not work but i am just giving my experience as mine seems to want to push until he knows he has gone too far. A stern no and time to go to sleep work for me now. He is back in his crate and touch wood, sleeping through.

I will give it a go as he is just wanting attention as he goes straight to the spot we're is treats are kept in the kitchen instead of the back door for the toilet. You are spot on they are so clever and know exactly how to play you lol
The super nanny sounds like a good approach do I will give it a shot as I have run out of ideas. Yes the heat really doesn't help, last week we had a few really hot days and again today it is hot and he doesn't know what to do with himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Sounds as though he prefers to sleep near you as you did when he was ill. One of mine used to play up at night, Cai, I bought a crate and tried to train him but he hated it and I left it at that. So I bought a safety gate so he could sleep in the kitchen, this was before I got my second, Luka, and as soon as bed time came around he'd start crying. I'd put him in the kitchen and I'd rub his belly and when he was relaxed I'd leave and wait on the stairs quietly. If he cried I'd say shush, from the stairs, if he was quiet after that I'd go upstairs. This went on for about 2 months sometimes I'd have to get up two or three times in the night, firstly I'd check if he needed a pee, if he didn't I'd settle him down again then I'd leave and wait on the stairs, over time he cried less and 9 weeks after getting Cai I brought Luka home and they settled together at night. They both go straight to the kitchen on their own now, they love hugging the fridge freezer. Is it possible yours could sleep in a room if you got a safety gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived