Guardian Dog Collars

Ok so after another short walk I have decided to try something new with Chewy as he has decided that he will pay no attention to any of my usual training methods while out walking. I think some of it has to do with the biking as we did go yesterday in the morning and he of course does pull a bit when biking and its quite natural as I understand it. It doesnt bother me that he pulls a bit while biking as it comes with his longer strides. However, todays walk was an utter failure, lol. We didnt even make it 2 blocks before coming back as he was straining and pulling so hard that even my very determined strength was not enough.

I have decided that although I am not actually a fan of choker or prong collars to try this new one I found which has safeties on it. Its made by Guardian, and it has removable links and has rubber caps over each prong so metal wont be digging into him or getting caught in his fur...which is what I hate about prong collars the most. It was very affordable and Im impressed with the clever additions that have been made to the collar to make it safer. I have used prong collars for training before so rest assured he will not be done badly.

I really didnt want to go this route but if the collar turns out to be good, Ill do a review and let you know how it goes. I just purchased it on ebay for $7 after reading reviews by other dog owners who say that it was very good and that they too were impressed by the new safety measures.

Let us know how you go with it, Erika.

I've seen prongs used succesfully on dozens of dogs, without injury or the dogs showing any sign of discomfort. Don't forget that it's how you use it that's important, don't correct the dog yourself, let the dog correct himself by changing direction as soon as he pulls on the leash. The correction should be light a like tap on the leash. When you first put it on him don't attach the leash to the middle chains, attached it to the side loop on the chain so the collar doesn't tighten - let him get used to it without it actually correcting him first.

Just be careful that the collar is still good quality, nothing is worse than a cheap (as in cheaply made not necessarily cheaply priced) collar as the links can come apart.

I've put a prong collar on my arm and the prongs are completely blunt, so they don't actually dig into the dog's neck. There's nothing unsafe about a well made prong, that the prongs are sharp or stick into the dog's neck is a bit of a myth. I've had them on a few Siberians and never had fur caught, it is important that the collar is fitted properly so it doesn't move around.

Don't feel bad about using it, there is nothing wrong with prong collars as long as they are used properly and responsibly. Many dogs find them less aversive than other no pull tools like head collars etc.

I use a prong collar with Pongo as of recently and it is like night and day compared to other things! He doesn't pull, and I feel like I have much more control over him without yanking on the leash or anything. It's wonderful. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. He realized that when he walks nice with a loose leash it's more comfortable. It has also prevented him from jumping up on the little kids in the neighborhood out of excitement. biggrin.gif I agree that it is completely safe as long as you use them correctly. Our dog trainer showed us how to use it smile.gif

Yeah, Im actually good at training with them I just prefer to use other methods. Hes just much too strong now for me to do my usual stuff. Im really hoping he does well with it so we can walk alot more, because I love walking him, but I want to keep my arms, lmao. Im not completely adverse to the prong/choker collars but I use chokers as "last resort" tools. In this case we will be walking with 2 human kids and one new furbaby so I want to be able to walk with less trouble. Thanks for the replies.