Dwarf Sibes

ISDW

I have a little red and white bitch here that came to us in July in season. We thought that she was just a pup, about 7/8 months old but she hasn't grown a single centimetre since she arrived. Vince, my male pup was the same size as her when she arrived, but he has outgrown her long ago. So my thinking was that she was a cross with something small. But, she looks very like a sibe, although her mouth is a little bit different. Another small sibe has now turned up in another rescue, but found on the streets not far from where our Kapik was picked up. This one again was thought to be a pup, but when the vet opened her mouth he was shocked to find a full set of adult teeth.

I was talking to someone last night who mentioned dwarf sibes, that I'd never heard of, she asked me if her eyes bulged, now I'd never thought they did before, but now that she's said it to me, I'm thinking that they do a bit. Our girl Kapik has had all her vaccs now, and been spayed, so has had a full vet check up and appears to be healthy. But Mary, who I was talking to last night said that dwarves tend not to live very long.

Anybody any experience with dwarf Sibes?

This is Kapik

SP_A0381.jpg

Just to give you an idea of her size, this is her lying next to Vince when he was 6 months old, and he's a 'normal' sized sibe.

SP_A0379.jpg

This is the other dog that is in foster with someone else. The woman that has her is 5' 2" and the dog comes up to just below her knees apparently.

Shura002.jpg

Shura010.jpg

As I say, they could obviously be crosses, and they could have come from the same litter. They could also possibly, perhaps be Klee Kais, but as they're not microchipped and no one has ever seen one in Ireland before, we don't think so.

Never come across a dwarf sibe, however I do have a very small girl! She was starved as a pup and so didnt have the nutrients she needed to grow normally.....she was really skinny when she came to us and riddled with worms. She is now a healthy weight but still small.....how much do you knoiw about her past???

Not the best comparison pic so I'll try and get another, but the sable girl is my small girl next to another girl we have, they're both adults with very little difference in age........just look how high she is off the ground!

103_3353.jpg

Oh she really is tiny.

Both of these dogs were found on the street, our Kapik took the warden a couple of days to catch, she was so timid and scared. She's coming around now, but still has times when she won't come near me.

The other dog was lying down in the middle of the road and wouldn't get up. Someone was driving a car and stopped so as not to run her over, but the dog just wouldn't move. Luckily the driver is involved in dog rescue and so picked her up and took her home. She was found near a traveller's site, so maybe she wandered out from there. Her back legs are very emaciated, so she has probably never had any exercise.

So, I would say they are similar to yours, not enough proper nutrition when they were pups, so maybe they are just small sibes.

Kapik certainly talks like one, she always has to have the last word, she is such a funny little dog.

From memory Alaskan Klee Kai's come in three different sizes

HEIGHT & WEIGHT

Height is measured from the withers to the ground. An Alaskan Klee Kai should not appear heavy or too thin. Weight should be proportionate to height.

Toy Variety: Up to and including 13 inches.

Miniature Variety: Over 13 inches and up to and including 15 inches.

Standard Variety: Over 15 inches up to and including 17 inches.

Hope this is of help

Steve

There's an Alaskan Klee Kai breeder a few miles from me. Before we lost Elke, we were looking at the AKKs. His were very expensive (over $1500 for a pet). It was sort of odd, because each of his dogs, while having some basic appearance characteristics from the Husky, looked out of proportion with the rest of the dog; like perfection had not been achieved. So if the proportions are good, I'd think it's more likely a stunted growth issue.

Thanks for all the replies. My worry is that we are trying to rehome Kapik, but if she is a dwarf, I was told last night that they don't live very long and I can't really rehome a dog to a family and then have the poor thing die within a year or so.

I'd love to keep Kapik, but I can't keep them all and she will be easy to rehome, as she's smaller than a normal sibe, and good with cats! The other little dog I don't have, she was rescued by someone else, but I have been talking to them as its odd that we both have small sibe type dogs from the same area of a city within a few months of each other.

Can't you get in touch with an Alaskan Klee Kai group/breeder and hopefully they can tell you what to look for if it is in fact a Klee Kai?

I quite fancied getting a Klee Kai, just love that tiny cuddly puppy stage.

There doesn't appear to be a Klee Kai club or any breeders in Ireland! Which makes us think that the dogs aren't Klee Kai's.

i really think she probably just hasnt grown well due to lack of nutrients! Wish i was in ireland....i love my little girl with huge personality to boot, special little things they are...i'd have had her in a heart beat!

:DWell I think I'm just trying to find excuses to keep her:D She is a lovely little thing, and gets on great with any new dogs. Her and Vincent are in love, although now that he's grown a bit more, I think he's decided to move onto slightly bigger dogs.

I can't keep them all, I just can't!