Fast eater

I know Kai had a rough past because of being forced to eat in a small amount of time. Does anybody have any suggestions of how I could help him stop doing this? He eats so fast that pretty much on a daily basis he will gag himself or choke from eating so fast. Then later on he ends up having an upset stomach and either burps or farts (yeah, my dog is such a pig haha). He went almost 3 years of his life eating like that, so I just worry that one day he is going to choke for real and hurt himself. Thanks!

I had the same problem with Garres when I first brought him home.

I talked to the vet first, and she said I could try the balls or bowels, however it would be best to start by giving small amounts of food over say a half hour.

It took me about 2 weeks of me feeding him a quarter cup out of my hand at a time until he had his 3 cups. It was hard, and frustrating at times. But after a month of feeding him small amounts from hands, he no longer "wolfs" down his food.

I hope this helps

Ok firstly where does kai eat? does he eat in company or alone?

we have one girly that came to us very thin, and having been starved and fighting larger dogs when food was available so ofen getting very little! She used to eat at a hundred miles an hour.this has since slowed once we decided she needed a 'safe' eating area/ She now eats alone in the conservatory with the other dogs fed else where, they are not allowed back together till everyones dinner is eaten...which doesnt take long in this house! That way she doesnt feel there is any threat that any of the others are going to steel her food. In our case this has been enogh to remedy the problem, failing that there is the KONG balls, which are OK for giving certain kibble through but in this situation you will need Kai to be alone for a longer period of time to ensure the other dog/dogs dont get his potion of food and make matters worse!

What do you feed him?