air circulating in vans

ISDW

It is a husky question honest.

I have a carpenter coming today to look at putting a platform in the back of the van, above the dog crate, so that we could chuck a mattress in and sleep in there if necessary when we go to meets. I am a bit concerned though that this would mean there wouldn't be enough air circulating for the dogs through the night.

How much of a gap should I leave between the top of the crate and the underneath of the platform?

How can I ensure that they have enough air in there?

There is no grill between the seats in the front of the van, and the back, so I thought if I left that open, that would help, but obviously the seats are there, so not great air circulation.

They are crates that I use, not closed in boxes but obviously 7-8 hours at night, I could leave the windows on the van open ever so slightly, but that would be quite high up. If I got one or two of those air circulating things put in the roof of the van (which I plan to do) would that help, as the dogs would be underneath a solid platform?

Any suggestions or help very gratefully received.

Hi Karen could you pop a picture of the set up on so we can have a look at it? How is it set up? Crates at the front behind cab seats or at the back by the back doors?

Ours have boxes, but is like a crate in a way beacause there is mesh half height between the top 2 and bottom 2 so they can see each other.....we have a roof vent and two vents on the back doors....there's always pleny of air in there and they never got too hot

I'll get some pics later. I have crates taking up the whole of the back of the van really. When I take 4 dogs out, we have 2 extra large crates, the first one is right behind the seats, then the next one behind that, so theres a gap before the back doors for the scooters etc. It has back doors and a sliding side door.

If we take more than 4 dogs, or if we take dogs that don't like to share crates, then we put another crate or two on top, so that we have room for the scooters. Obviously for camping out in the van, we'd have to put that crate on the bottom as well, at the back of the van, and leave the scooters outside.

Most of our cages are crates, so good air circulation all round, and did build in mesh panels to the sides of our wood-built ones so there is more than just a mesh door for the same reason. We have a gap of about 3 inches between the top of the crate and the sleeping platform over them.

We have push up roof vents, and have the front part only pushed up when travelling, as this then pulls planty of air into the van (does not work as well if you have the whole thing open as the air mostly blows under it and out the back again)

If you fit the 12volt fan versions, you can have one pulling air in and the other pushing air out, which will work well. You could also fit 2-way extractors (cheaper) which will do the same.

Im not over impressed with the spinning roof thingies. They are expensive for what they are and can have a habit of letting it water if it rains enough.

Cheap way to do it is to have some decent 12 volt mini-fans to move air, but ony works if you also have windows or doors open to let out warm/humid air.

If you want to be really posh, you can fit air-con.

There will be my two sons and I, so I imagine the sleeping platform will cover virtually the whole of the back of the van, we'll need a bit of space to stand up in for getting in and out of bed. It is a Citreon Relay, kinda transit sized. I wanted to get the platform sliding, so that when its not being used as a bed, it will only cover half of the van. We used to have VW camper vans, so are used to sleeping in small areas - as long as we can crawl into the sleeping bit, thats fine, we don't need to sit up, or anything posh like that.

Will defo get some pictures later, although it is absolutely pouring down here again today, and I still have to take the scooters and wet clothes out of it from last night - we didn't get home till 11pm, so I do have an excuse, honest.