Ubuntu OS question

robke

One of my PC's has died and gone to wherever they go...as a spare laptop I use while I am at work is really old and slow running windows XP. I have used ubuntu in the past. now my question is can I install Ubuntu and get rid of the XP version on the laptop??? or would it be better to install on a partition and leave XP ....I only use this laptop for music and being on HO...

Both depend on what you want to do with your laptop. If you have enough space left it's never a bad idea to leave it on your computer 'just in case'. Do you have a Windows CD? You paid for Windows and if you don't have a cd it means you will permanently remove Windows from your laptop. I personally wouldn't care about that (I avoid Windows like the plague), but maybe you do.

However, if you completely want to get rid of XP: Just installing over it is enough :)

I have so many XP CD's LOLOL bought them a while back from a job lot of a company that went bankrupt...I only want to use this laptop for internet and music....the laptop is old about 10 years and runs slow on xp even deleting stuff i do not want need from xp running it bear minimum...

I'm not sure if Ubuntu is a good option for slow laptops anymore. I don't like the direction it's going with this whole Unity :( In my experience it's getting too slow for my liking and removes a lot of customization Ubuntu previously supported. I've now hopping between distros with currently testing Linux Mint both on my desktop and my eee-pc (aka the slowest and smallest laptop you've ever seen) and it works great so far.

My dad uses Ubuntu with Unity on his company laptop (with 3G connection) and he says it works without any problems though.

Hm...it is possible to change some hardware for laptops...like the RAM. How much ram does the laptop have? Also, do you scan for viruses and spyware frequently? I like to use AVG Free edition for viruses and Spybot Search and Destroy/Adaware for spywares.

not possible to upgrade the ram has 512 mb...it is old 2001...but I do not need to worry about it anymore...it has died totally yesterday afternoon...it went booosh and smoke came out of the side and the hd just stop with and bang....so that is nr 2 in just under a week...........:mad: