Aggressiveness

Annie Oakley

Well hello again,

I am asking another question today. This time its about my male Sibe, Oakley. When we first got our female, 3 weeks ago, he was a bit aggressive. Who was the leader of the pack, I expected that. Since then he has gotten worse. He grabs her and shakes her around from the neck and back area. I am so scared that he is going to seriously hurt her. No blood so far, thank god.

Well my question is, will this get worse? Better? He gets really jealous when I pet her, more so when I do, than anybody else. With her being so scared we have been working with her more than him I'm afraid. What would you all suggest, and is this normal? By the way he is neutered. She is not spayed.

Thanks for anything,

Sabrina

Any chance you could get some video for us? Siberians tend to play really roughly - at times it's rough enough to mistake it for aggression quite easily! He's still a puppy, and even more, he's a "teenager"! It would probably be good for both of them for you both to give him some time working with you, too - while she's watching. As each of them get a little jealous of you working with the other, they're more likely to work harder for you. Sometimes, as a less confident dog watches a more confident dog working, they learn from it and gain a little in confidence, in my experience.

If you think he's getting too rough while playing with her, go to him, take him by the collar, and firmly tell him "Enough!" If you need to, take him to another area quiet and calmly for kind of a "time out" - many people do not like using a crate for this purpose, but for a short time out, and if you can do it absolutely calmly and neutrally (just tell him "easy" or "settle" or some such command that makes sense to you), it shouldn't make him dislike his crate at all. The idea is that when he plays too roughly, the fun stops.

Zeeva, my GSD grabs Smokey, my husky, by the scruff and shakes it around. Smokey is my dominant male. I do not know how aggressively your male grabs the females by the scruff, but mine do this to each other on a V regular basis. They play V V V rough together when they are allowed to roam free. I agree with Gigi. He is probably in his "teenage" years. I do suggest you try to get him socialized. I took Smokey to doggy classes for 3 months but he still has a streak of aggression in him especially when he scents an unneutered male. If it gets worse (which it may before it starts to get better) handle it as Gigi suggested. Best <3

I will do all of that. I noticed tonight that while we were playing with him only, she was watching and even getting closer to my husband. She is terrified of him. She would lick his hand as long as he didn't look at her. LOL of course as soon as he looked at her... she ran. Once he was paying attention to Oakley, she must have gotten upset and barked at him. And then ran again.

I tell Oakley "Leave It" when he gets to rough with Little Bit, but even that does not always work. When I go to get him, he runs cause he knows that he's in trouble (even when I try to act nice). He knows he did wrong. They are so smart!!

Thank you again and I will try to do this

Sabrina

Fzx4m8.png

zUAtm8.png

I will do all of that. I noticed tonight that while we were playing with him only, she was watching and even getting closer to my husband. She is terrified of him. She would lick his hand as long as he didn't look at her. LOL of course as soon as he looked at her... she ran. Once he was paying attention to Oakley, she must have gotten upset and barked at him. And then ran again.

I tell Oakley "Leave It" when he gets to rough with Little Bit, but even that does not always work. When I go to get him, he runs cause he knows that he's in trouble (even when I try to act nice). He knows he did wrong. They are so smart!!

Thank you again and I will try to do this

He definitely doesn't know he is doing anything wrong, dogs have no moral compass to be able to tell what we as humans think is right or wrong :) He is responding to your body language and you coming towards him.

I would not be having him around her when you know he's going to exhibit this behaviour, even if it was rough play (it doesn't sound like it to me, JMO) your new dog doesn't like it and shouldn't have to put up with it. It will be doing nothing to help her confidence issues, in fact it would be making them worse. She needs to feel secure in your pack and in your home, and having Oakley behave inappropriately to her like this will just make her feel even less safe and secure.