Luxury Pet Lodge!

siberian_wolf

Jet-setting German dog owners who can't bear to be separated from their pets a moment longer than necessary can now use a luxury pet lodging near Munich airport.

Sabine Gerteis, a managing director of the "Canis-Resort" that charges 80 euros (72 pounds) a night, said the facility is intended to cater to well-heeled business people who are close to their pets.

A special touch -- at extra cost -- is a gate-to-gate service which takes dogs to the airport to greet their owners upon their return.

"There's nothing better than when I come back from Hamburg in the evening and my dog is there, waiting for me at the gate with his tail wagging," Gerteis, a dog owner herself, told Reuters Television.

She said dogs are assigned their own individual dog sitter -- one per pooch -- and stay in comfortable "Dog-Lodges" which have resin floors usually found on yachts.

Also on tap are designer grooming and gourmet dogfood -- in short, everything to make it feel like anything but a kennel.

"Dog owners often have a bad conscience when they leave their dogs to be looked after because the places feel like kennels," Thomas Gerteis, the co-managing director, said.

There is occupancy for 40 dogs, plus a day-care service for travellers who aren't away overnight.

"We have a 24-hour, seven-day check-in service," Sabine Gerteis said. "If the dog wants to be petted, the dog-sitter is right there for him."