table scraps...

soooo im curious as to how much food is bad for my boy? i tend to give him the last bite (i try and keep it to about the size of a dime maybe a nickle) of what ever im eating. ive read to stay away from onions and fatty foods ect but im wondering is it bad to give him such a small amount if it doesnt contain those kinds of food? he probably gets like 3 or 4 bites a day so i figured it wasnt too bad. my wife keeps telling me its bad for him so im curious?

it can depend on what it is you are feeding him.

A small amount will probably cause no harm to him but, and my mums dog is the perfect example, overtime feeding him a little bit each day it will build up over time and although it may not look alot now think of what it would look like in a dogs lifetime of being fed a little bit each day. The result an obese and very unhappy dog, my mums dog rusty was fed a "little" bit each day and now he is obese and looks more like a sausage/pot bellied pig than a dog!

Not only can this cause obesity but also encourages them to beg.

Moved this to the food and diet section

Like Amy suggested it depends what the food is. Table scraps in moderation won't kill a dog but dogs do have very different nutritional and dietary needs to us and a lot of people food is not good for dogs nor is it food they are designed to eat.

You also run the risk of having a dog who begs for food when you are eating, I never give food off my plate for that reason, I don't want my dogs hanging around expecting that they are going to get anything I'm eating!

Our rule is to never give our Husky table scraps, while we are at the table. It encourages begging. We only, selectively, give our dog small amounts of chicken, beef, carrots, or green beans, and only in her food bowl, along with some of her kibble. My son has an Aussie, and he tosses food from his plate in the air, and his dog jumps up to catch it. During dinner, his dog drewls something terrible, all because of the anitcs my son has incorporated into the evening meal.

*nods* ive made a point not to give him anything while im eating and to completely ignore him if he comes up for attention. he doesnt beg at all, i think he gets the idea because he lays over in the bed while i eat... doesnt even get up just waits for me to bring him a piece lol

i made an exception today tho. we had salmon for dinner so i cooked him up a piece. i figured it woulda been wrong to serve it to em cold lol (had no spices in it was cooked in foil on the grill)

anywho what im getting from the responses is not to give him alot and i dont think i do. i literally gave him a noodle from my mac and cheese just now as his share. thanks for the replies guys =)