Any horsey husky owners out there?

Was wondering if any other HO members have horses and compete like myself?

I have a 16.3hh Iron Grey 5year old Dutch warmblood called Kobey-Ella at the moment who is my princess... :P I used to have a 16.3hh Dun Irish Sports Horse called Huey but regrettably sold him a couple of years ago :(

I compete in SJ, Dressage and XC when ive got the balls lol. Gladly Kobey-Ella is scared of pretty much everything so we wont be tearing round a XC course wondering if im going to survive to the end or not!

Pics are attached - it be nice to hear from other horsey husky owners and how their husky copes around the yard and with the horses - im looking in to rehoming a husky and would like to hear peoples experiences to know what to expect around the yard!

[ATTACH]9067.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9068.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9069.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9070.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-4898-13585965736809_thumb.jpg

post-4898-13585965738359_thumb.jpg

post-4898-13585965738732_thumb.jpg

untitled.bmp

Hi there, I myself am not extremely horsey but my younger sister and my mother are and my sister is very talented at jumping and cross country events. I am moving back to live with my mother at her own riding stables and I have taken my huskies along for visits.

My 4 month old pup is interested and fearless with the horses, but never agressive. And my adult husky is terrified and the horses have tried to attack him on two occasions. A husky is a hit or miss arounds horses, but if you get a nice old rescue they may be easier to keep calm around the horses or a puppy idealy because you can train them to be calm and respectful towards the horses.

Not great as yard dogs though as you cannot let them roam off lead all day. Personally for a stable yard I would recommend a collie or a retriever. But if you think you can make it work, go for it! :D

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your reply! My husky would not be a yard dog, it will be a companion and live inside with me. Just enquiring really as to the reactions people have had with theirs around horses. I'd be looking to rehome a husky than get a new puppy, ideally 6mths+ dont have a maximum age really, the main requirement is to be friendly with people and other dogs as my friends who's annex i live in have a bouncy 2 year old Weimeraner.

Id never intentionally let my husky roam free around the yard as i think this is an accident waiting to happen. I think the main thing i want to be sure of is that my husky wouldnt initially attack the horses as both parties would end up seriously injured which no one wants!

Awww lovely!! Looks like he has a wall eye too how sweet!

She is braver than me though. Best part of XC is the finish line knowing im still alive!! Hahaha. Strange though, i have a friend that full pelt gallops at 3ft6"cross country fences but showjumping scares the wits out of her! Id much rather jump a 5ft fence knowing if we hit it that it will fall down rather than galloping towards a fence that is solid! Partly down to a few nasty XC accidents where i have hit these solid fences - it hurts :(

Hi Hayley I am another husky-horse lover!!:wavespin:

I have two of my own, a 9yr old bay mare by Catherston Dazzler called Daisy & a 5yr old american throughbred called Dreamer :inlove:

I have done bits & bobs with my 9yr old as she was still very green when we bought her a couple of yrs ago. Dreamer has only just turned 5 and has been on rest for a few months as she was broken at a young age by a racing yard.

I still ride Daisy but not so much as I struggle for time because of my job. We have just bought a lovely stallion and are planning to put both into foal as they both have exceptional breeding.

I cant say I really take my huskies to the yard because of not being able to let them off or leave them alone anywhere. But they have been around the horses & they love them, they always sniff noses :happy2:

Think there are a few pics in my gallery of my neddies if not I can upload some tonite when I am home from work.

Your horses are gorgeous by the way, love iron grey colouring!!

Your not that far from me, let me know if your going to any events & we could meet? I am wanting to go to Houghton Hall horse trials soon, its a really lovely event xx

My sister is totally fearless when she jumps. Funny thing is, I taught her how! I forced her first pony who was messing around that day, around every single jump at a gmkhana because she was too nervous to do it herself. when she saw that I could do it in jeans and converse trainers and limited experience of 4 or 5 lessons, she got back on that pony and she's never looked back.

Yeah Wills has a wall eye, he's a handsome chap. Most of my sister's horses have wall eyes, it's kind of a trademark for our family, we all have one pet with mixed colour eyes :rolleyes:

Hi Naomi (hope its ok to call you by your name not username, still getting used to Forum ettiquette!!)

Aww thankyou, i look forward to seeing pictures of yours!! My friend Heather has a Catherston horse, jumps like a stag but is as crazy as a moose. :giggle:

Kobey-Ella was only backed last year, being a warmblood she is late to mature, hoping she will reach 17hh. Just started jumping with her - she did her first baby course last weekend, fences were 18inches/2ft max bless her. She was black originally - baby pics attached of her at 18 months, three years and recently as shes just turned 5.

Definately would love to meet!! Im really interested in going to a husky meet too, i just need to know when there is one and where it will take place lol. I said in another thread i hopefully wont feel too left out being a non husky owner at present :unsure:

[ATTACH]9073.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9072.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9074.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-4898-13585965739666_thumb.jpg

18mths.bmp

5yrs.bmp

Hiya, I'm a husky-horse lover too! I have a 16hh TB 5 year old gelding called Slumdog, he's an ex-racehorse and we've just started jumping. I only became a husky-parent on Saturday but I have 4 other dogs that come to the yard with me sometimes. I don't allow them off the lead on the yard but they can run round the paddocks that don't have horses in (its a livery yard so not all horse owners want dogs in with their horses!)

My mum n my sister also have horses, an 15.2 ex racehorse called Tilli and a 14.2 secD called Jinx. We also still have my old New Forest competition pony called Frisp whose in his 20s now and a bit of an expensive field ornament! I'll post some pics when I get on my laptop!

Sam xx

Ooooh yaye :wavespin:

Im loving that there are horsey husky lovers out there!! All my friends have dogs but ive never come across anyone with a husky that has horses and i was keen to make sure there was no other reason than theres no horsey husky lovers close by!

Slumdog :giggle: I LOVE the name!!

Aww i owned an ex racer for a short time one summer, bought him to reschool and sold him on - he was a cracker and is now a BE event horse!! I love TB's... Kobey-Ella is my first warmblood - she is the most intelligent yet stupid horse i have ever known, but shes so sweet i love the bones of her. Can be lazy, then again sometimes i have no brakes, moves like an angel - when shes not flipping out and being a retard that is!

Oooh Hannah that'd be fab! I hope to have one by then, but if not i'll gladly be an honorary owner for the day!!

My friend mentioned to me the other day that id be pulled over by a husky, he forgets that im a pretty strong lass - i manage to old on to 2/3rd's of a tonne of horse thats spacking out so i think i may be able to just about hold on to a husky (thats not in full pull mode obviously).

Hi Naomi (hope its ok to call you by your name not username, still getting used to Forum ettiquette!!)

Aww thankyou, i look forward to seeing pictures of yours!! My friend Heather has a Catherston horse, jumps like a stag but is as crazy as a moose. :giggle:

Kobey-Ella was only backed last year, being a warmblood she is late to mature, hoping she will reach 17hh. Just started jumping with her - she did her first baby course last weekend, fences were 18inches/2ft max bless her. She was black originally - baby pics attached of her at 18 months, three years and recently as shes just turned 5.

Definately would love to meet!! Im really interested in going to a husky meet too, i just need to know when there is one and where it will take place lol. I said in another thread i hopefully wont feel too left out being a non husky owner at present :unsure:

post-2224-13585967446048_thumb.jpg

post-2224-13585967444321_thumb.jpg

post-2224-13585967447816_thumb.jpg

Of course its ok to call me by my name, we are all family on here :happy2:

Kobey - Ella sounds lovely, mine was only broken at 5 as well. I think all warmbloods take a while to mature & mine sounds just like your friends!! :lol:

Feel free to come along to the meets, you are more than welcome to come and fuss over any of our furbabies & have a good chinwag! you certainly wont be left out & can ask any questions you may have

We have one in Ipswich every month, think its the end of each month :unsure:

Its at a fully enclosed dog park so the kids get to have a good run and play while we all have a catch up, let me know if you fancy coming & I can tell you where it is xx

Sounds like Slummy, he went in a lovely outline yesterday, unfortunatly he was trying to bronc me off at the time! Haha!

He was cut at 4 as well so sometimes he think he's 'the man' but he's so lovely and such a baby. He has to be turned out on his own because the racing yard I got him from only used to turn them out for an hour a week so he can't interact with other horses, they tend to kick ten bales out of him because he doesnt understand their body language. He's happy out on his own though, it's just such a shame.

I'd love to say he was a great racehorse but he came 11th and 14th...out of 11 and 14...lol!

Xx

Hhehehehe aww bless him - Freddie won his only race over hurdles... i would have said he could have jumped the moon!! He had Nimmerdor blood so was from good stock too. If my memory serves me right he ran 17 times and was only placed 3 times - 1st, 2nd and 3rd, all over hurdles.

Kobey is at the bottom of the herd and is left out of everything, i think this is because she's too much of a Div to stand up for herself - then again she has been with the same horses since she was just over a year old, so has always been the baby. Any of the others come over to her and she runs off - unless they want a good old scratch, her being one of the biggest now she has her uses!!

Ooooh definately count me in for the meets!! I grew up in Clacton-on-Sea so am familiar with the suffolk border and my nan still lives there so could visit her on the same day too! Let me know the details and i'll be there at the end of may :lol: Im a bit nervous about approaching new people so i'll be the sheepish one lurking about trying to pluck up the courage to come and say hi!! lol :P dont worry though, it doesnt last... once the intial step is made, im rather chatty and a bit nutty so you'll probably wish i hadnt bothered!!