Advice on weight please

Hi All

Tula is now 7 months or so and we are a little worried about her not filling out, she has always been boney and skinny since we got her at 17 weeks but after feeding her twice a day she still looks skinny!

She has grown she is now as tall as my 11 year old black lab very skinny and you can feel all her ribs and hips.

I am feeding her on high protien puppy food chicken & rice from Throphy foods which is around 30% protien.

Any advise would be much appreciated as George our other Sibie is very health 27KG 2 year old male.

Stuart

post-2025-13585963767729_thumb.jpg

post-2025-13585963771296_thumb.jpg

Hi All

Tula is now 7 months or so and we are a little worried about her not filling out, she has always been boney and skinny since we got her at 17 weeks but after feeding her twice a day she still looks skinny!

She has grown she is now as tall as my 11 year old black lab very skinny and you can feel all her ribs and hips.

I am feeding her on high protien puppy food chicken & rice from Throphy foods which is around 30% protien.

Any advise would be much appreciated as George our other Sibie is very health 27KG 2 year old male.

Stuart

Feeling the ribs/hips is correct, but you should not be able to see them.

How much does she weigh?

Marty

How much does she weigh? Maybe compare her weight to others in the 'Add your sib weight' thread to see if others her age were the same weight? It's normal to be able to feel ribs and hips, it becomes abnormal if you can see them and they really stand out. She looks ok to me, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Is this the type you're feeding her? http://www.trophypetfoods.co.uk/products/premiumdog.htm

If so, she might benefit from something a bit higher in meat protein. The first ingredient is white rice, which is a minimum of 43% of the food. The next ingredient is chicken meat, with a minimum of 30% - which is misleading, as that chicken meat is something like 90% water! If it were chicken meal, it would be much more concentrated chicken protein. The next ingredient is also a grain, oatmeal, at a minimum of 10%. Most Siberians don't do well on a grain-based diet - their digestive systems evolved in a place where grains weren't readily available, and the diet would have been very heavily meat/fish based.

There are a number of threads in the Food and Diet section which will give you reviews of different foods available in the UK, plus some on feeding a raw diet. Good luck - I hope that this info was helpful!

We found Maddi to look really skinny and too tall for her body size, Mishka was like a little barrel, and round.

In the end we have realised that the body parts grow at different rates, and you only get a true picture once they stop growing.

Once Mishka had shed her first coat we discovered she was normal, and it was mostly fur!

With Maddi, she looked like Tula does now at that age.

Marty&Carole

how tall is she and how much does she weigh right now? sometimes filling out comes after growing up :)

Hi

I do not know her current wieght but she was 11 kg in February and I have just measured her 22" at the shoulders but she was not liking the tape measure!

This is here laying down you can she what I mean she is all legs!

Stuart

post-2025-13585963775212_thumb.jpg

Have you checked out the thread (add your sibie weight) and compare others. 11kg is definitely a bit too light, has she been wormed lately? Try increasing the food and weigh her weekly.smile.gif

Ok will check the thread out, she gets fed twice a day total amount around 450g of food, which is 150g more than George & Starr. I have tried giving her more she just leaves it.

I will try and weigh her tomorrow if the vets is still open when I get back from work.

Stuart

Hi All

Stuart

its a shame your so far away, the raw meat diet is best, I give away large amounts of off-cuts every few days to people near me, try to contact your local abattoir and see what they will give you, you need flanks, skirt and any other meaty bits they will give you.

• 4 weeks later...