Temper Tantrum?

Zen is 5 months and has been doing great on all training and behaviours. We go on long walks, heel is not a problem, loose leash is going well, and we take the bus so she is used to waiting. Her go to position is down - she uses it when I stand still at th store or bus stop or when my attention is elsewhere.

Well, today, on a walk, she nipped at my hand when I was tapping me knee for a heel. (This was a first!). I stopped her, told her to sit, to go down and when I had her focus, "let's go" and on with our walk. I treat train (random intervals), so the heel was with treats. I did not treat the sit or down consequence.

She did the same thing a few minutes later when I tapped my knee for another heel. But this time she refused the DOWN. She stopped, she sat, but she would not go down.

I've noticed her getting a little resistant on her downs lately and usually I need to exaggerate the hand gesture to get her to do it.

I didn't want to leave without the down. She refused to give it. She even ignored me, looking left and right, she yapped, she struggled, she whined, but she would not go down.

As I said, this is her go to position - she really does understand it. I could see no reason other than "I choose not to go down for you".

30 minutes later, many repeated requests, one jump up to my face, one puppy being held in arms for a few seconds, more yapping, whining, struggling, ignoring - but no more jumping. I was very calm (I work in childcare ';} ), but I felt it important not to give in.

I decided to sit down myself (like at the bus stop) and see if she would offer it on her own. NOPE! 10-15 minutes later, she started to bite at my hands and tried to get up on me. I stood up.

Finally, I thought, well, what If I start munching on her treats? That got her attention! I munched - she watched. (Blah!).

She decided to sit next to me and look up. I said down and gave the gesture - she went down! Slowly - but completely! I did not treat, but verbally praised, "YOU did it!" and quickly followed with "let's go!"

A few yards later, I called a hold it, a stop, and a down - she did them all. I treated.

We were only a block away from home, but I called several downs and stay downs along the way - she did them all.

Was this a teen puppy tantrum? I hear they try to reassert themselves at a certain age, but am not sure if that's true or when that is.

Did I respond well? I don't like punitive, harsh, or physical methods. I want a dog who will listen and want to follow. But I don't know if I should have been more assertive? OR! Was I being to hard-headed? Sure, I could have offered her a treat for the down, but I felt we had passed that when she nipped at me for the heel. That needed to be corrected, right?

I have a feeling I may be seeing this resistance again, so any and all advice is welcome! Thank you!

ooooooooh yeah. This same thing happened to Pongo when he hit this age. He didn't really get better until 10 months old. they will definitely test you during this time. You did the right thing by not giving in so good job! usually when this happens, people can get quite overwhelmed. so keep up the good work! sounds like you have an outstandingly behaved dog!biggrin.gif

I think you did a very good job - good for not giving in, and good for not treating when she finally gave you the down. You gave verbal praise, and asked for the behavior again shortly after, then treated, and I think that was a very good idea! Shows you are in charge of the treats and the behaviors! +1 rep

I am the last one to give advice on training, but I personally think you handled it extremely well. They can be extremely stubborn, and consistency is the key. Once they get away with a certain behaviour they will keep on testing you. Well done :)

Thanks for the responses!

It's hilarious - I called several "downs" today and it's like pulling teeth. She's doing them all, but man she is really resisting! I think we're in for some windy weather ahead, but I can't help but think how awesome she is now and will be if we keep on her.

I'll take your words to heart and keep up the good fight!

Well, today, on a walk, she nipped at my hand when I was tapping me knee for a heel. (This was a first!). I stopped her, told her to sit, to go down and when I had her focus, "let's go" and on with our walk. I treat train (random intervals), so the heel was with treats. I did not treat the sit or down consequence.

When you say she nipped your hand, was she excitable?

I've noticed her getting a little resistant on her downs lately and usually I need to exaggerate the hand gesture to get her to do it.

I would just make sure she really truly knows what the command means - do you ever lure her into a down (i.e. give a hand signal when you are holding food)? Can she down on voice command only?

If she is having trouble with complying, I would increase the frequency you are rewarding it until it is totally reliable without needing exaggerated hand signals. You get what you pay for and if you haven't rewarded it enough initially and in a variety of situations/levels of distraction you may find you will not get the level of reliability you are after.

I didn't want to leave without the down. She refused to give it. She even ignored me, looking left and right, she yapped, she struggled, she whined, but she would not go down.

Just be careful not to 'nag' her - I don't like to repeat commands over and over because I want my dog to learn they have one chance to comply with my command and that's it. I don't want them learning they can comply on the first or second or third or sixth time I give them a command.

As I said, this is her go to position - she really does understand it. I could see no reason other than "I choose not to go down for you".

As I said earlier - if she's becoming 'resistant' on her commands I would question how well she knows it, or how good her reward history is for the command. How often do you train with the treats away from you? How good is she at complying to commands when she can't see/doesn't know if there will be a reward? Some dogs learn to comply with commands only when they can visibly see a reward.

Finally, I thought, well, what If I start munching on her treats? That got her attention! I munched - she watched. (Blah!).

Before you took her treats out to 'munch' them, had you taken them out before or allowed her to see them? I am thinking it got her attention not because you were eating them but because the sight of the reward is exciting to her.