Desperate Seeking Help

Hi everyone,

I really need all the help and advice I can get now Im at breaking point and spending to much time in tears as Im now out of ideas.

As you know I rehomed Tannar 8 weeks ago (I know its not long but please bare with me) Since I have had her she has made some good progess in certain areas but severly lacking in others and now Laika and his training is getting affected by it and is falling back rapidly.

OK here is a few of the issues so you can get the idea.

I cannot leave the house without her kicking off and destroying anything that is mine,I have given her an old duvet of mine for comfort and an old jumper (that is no longer with us that got shredded big time) I have tried a crate but that made her temperment worse and I could sit there for hours later on trying to give her a basic command and she basically said bog off mum. I was persistant with both and I would not back down but in the end the crate had to go she was really unhappy with it and wouldnt go anywere near it.

Next she refuses to go to the toilet outside unless I am stood with her which unfortunatly Icant do everytime as I have a 2 year old mischevious lil bugger, If im not there Tannar would come back in a do her business inside out of the way and come trotting back to whereever I am and come for kisses. Now with Laika I can leave the door open all day and he will go in and out as he pleases but nope not her and laika has now started to pick it up but he will reappear and know he has done something wrong.

I am being persistant with going out time and routines on walks, food etc with them both but nothing seems to make a difference with her she just seems to be so stubborn and pig headed and yet I am still sitting/standing there not backing down. I am even teeching my 2 year old the same basic commands as I use with them both. I have spoken to the vets and a behaviour class and all i kee getting is you cant do anything else other than what I am.

But today the worst bit came everynight keegan kisses Laika goodnight and gets one back he went to give Tannar hers and she growled and snapped at him, she has been doing the odd bit of growling with keegan lately but keegan is firm with her and stands there and tells her no but tonight he really didnt know what to do and he got ever so upset especially when he didnt get the kiss back.

Guys please help me I really dont want to give up on her but this is killing me and there is no way in hell no matter how much i love her am I having her doing that to keegan. Please please please help me

Love Stacy and the kids

Ok I think you have a crate. Place her bed by the back door after long walks put her in it to relax but don’t shut it encourage her to get in it as much as you can when she goes in there to lay down start closing the door on the crate when she starts acting up as moist husky's wont go toilet in their bed she will get a bit arsy at that point put her straight in the garden an shut the door she cant hold it in forever do this a few times it will take time but don’t be out there with her watch out window so she can see you but not get to you she wont like it but tough.. as soon as she does go obviously praise her make a big fuss of it

When she doe’s go toilet in the house you need to try and ignore it not show her any attention and jus try an get her to go out side as if it is a game still ignoring what she done. ONLY CLEAN IT UP WHEN SHE CAN’T SEE YOU.

Destroying things, Sakari cost me a home from her destructive period and lots of money worth of damage. Some people will just say exercise because they are bored, Not always the case. You need to find ways to mentally challenge her but some thing for the garden that you can hide a treat under or some thing when she gets the scent of it her instincts will be to try and find it distracting her keeping her busy. There will be many other things you can do that is an example.

You let them sleep in you're bedroom you do not help her separation anxiety by keeping you're self close to her move their bed in to the crate and in to a diff room I still think kitchen is best as it keeps going toilet and sleeping habit in the same place she will hate it at first again tough the more she gets used to being away from you the more she will grow her bond with laika and develop her independence

will add more when not as busy just some poss. starter ideas

With the snapping, is she spayed? She could be about to go into heat

this is true but it could also be that some dogs just don't like to be hugged around the neck or grabbed completly as it can also be taken as restraining the dog and she is just defending her self i know she needn't be but also an idea :)

I'm not much help with anything but the toddler vs. dog universe...

Okay I could be off base...fox is my first and I have more reading knowledge than hands on for decades knowledge.

You should consider looking into a NILF training program. I'm sure someone else has information on it, but I'll dig some up tommorrow if no one's turned anything up.

From what I've read, and gathered from other people here, Huskies have a very high prey drive...and occasionally if its not caught right away that can be problematic with small children. I know it'd be alot of work...but I'd work on making sure that Tannar understood that Keegan is the center of her universe, or at least high enough up on the foodchain that the thought of growling at your little one isn't even a half thought. I don't know how old Tannar is, but we have a preterribletwoler (2 in November), and with both of the dogs we have we've made sure that they understand, The Bear(our toddler) gets food first, she gets taken care of first, and you should relish any bit of attention she bestows upon you...

It wasn't hard with Fox, because he's still a puppy...but for two or three weeks we got Fox's food, and made him sit...and then gave it to The Bear who would then give it to him (with us right there the whole time), treats...also came from The Bear exclusively for two weeks, and any interaction was closelye supervised...he got loads of praise when he played nice...and we corrected negative puppy nips immediately when he attempted it. He does still try to wrestle with her...but usually she starts it and they have this rediculous game of chase...which ends as soon as we say ENOUGH. If he even toys at the idea of persisting, he's removed to another area of the house for ten minutes and completely ignored. When he's brought back into the rest of the house, The Bear has a treat for him...and we have him sit and wait for her to give it to him. Fox has to sit before he goes outside, and if The Bear is going with us...then he has to wait for her to go through the doorway first...It's alot of work...ESPECIALLY with a toddler.

An older dog will take more work...but I'd think the same basics of understanding would apply

If I'm off base here, or confusing something please...clear it up right away as I don't want to be giving Stacy-Ann poor advice with toddler dog relations if someone has something more effective, etc...please clarify...

Keath great tops rep + 1 added. I have started to get her out of my room its taking alot and I am being persistant with Laika now just crashes in the kitchen or he will find a cold spot in the house but always downstairs.

She is now 15 month old and spayed and in her previous home was brought up with 3 kids. Normally Tannar is good with keegan. Keegan has taken a very big shine to Tannar and spends an awful lot of time playing with her by playing with bottles balls and ropes etc and she has recently started to listen to him as he is giving a basic command like sit and paw and we both praise he like mad for it as it is good progress but anything further on both sides with her i have no chance but with laika he is improving massively we just have to play games with him for praise due to his allergies. We have tried this with Tannar but she is ignorant to it all.

I have tried her with the crate by the back door but she destroyed her bed and then started to rip the flooring up and damaging my back door. Exercise is not an issue as she is always out and about with me anyway then plus she gets her runs aswell in which she loves so i use that time aswell for any training.

In a morning i prepare all the food together keegan gets his first then Laika and Tannar does, Laika is more than happy with this he will go off eat his then stay out of the way but with tsnnar i have no chance she wants keegans so i try to play a game with her for hers but she is more than happy to try and battle with keegan for his but she soon looses as he puts her in his place (god no seperating him from his food) in which she will still try and hover for it in which i use this time to distract her by using more traing time for things like wait leave it etc in the attempt for her not to touch his unless he says yes.

With her destroying things i make her toys thats she has to earn the treats out of she will happily play with it if im there but the second she notices im gone she is off destroying things normally my coats she will do this even if im putting the bins out.

Love Stacy xx