Puppy Energy Burner?

My pup Nero is 11 weeks old and he needs some sort of release to burn off that pent up energy.

He pulls quite alot when we go for walks but nothing too major. The pulling is actually only when he is really worked up OR on our way back when he wants to get home.

Nero actually abit of a pansy because he won't walk on any street where he can smell other dogs or doesnt like the look of, even if we are in the middle of the road. I usually have to carry him past a few houses because he simply won't budge otherwise :blink:

I usually walk him 2 or 3 times a day at about 15-20 mins each session. Once before work, sorta 7am once around 5pm and again last thing at night around 10pm.

When we are at home he will be calm half the time and hyper the rest, so usually I just let him be. He enjoys playing with his football but when he gets really hyper he will just run back and forth from one side of the house to the other.

What can I do to help him release this built up energy?:unsure:

Do you do any training with him? For example, teaching him to shake, sit, stay. When Zoya was a small pup, we spent a lot of time playing with her outside in the back yard, and also spent time with a tug rope, letting her do the work. That required several hours every night, but it tired her out.

Yeh training is a constant thing that we do together. He knows to SIT, COME, OUT and has almost got OFF mastered.

He sits before I set his food down, prior to him going outside or coming inside and when we reach an intersection too. Usually he will COME when I call him unless he is tearing at the garden, at which point I have to bribe him with his ball. OUT he has down 90% of the time but I do have to repeat it 4 or 5 times before he realises. OFF is proving a little difficult because it only works 30% of the time, any suggestions?

I really need to get some form or other to burn off this energy he has because when he gets hyper he nips too. Well he nips all the time but more so when he's excited!!

If he's had some vaccinations (and you're keeping up with them regularly), I'd take him out to new and interesting areas where he'll meet new people and see more new things. That way, he'll tire a bit faster from all of the excitement and novelty, and as he interacts with other people, it will both tire him, and help with his socialization. Outdoor shopping centers or areas around grocery stores are often good places, as there are a lot of people there, and many, especially as they're going inside, really love to stop and pet cute puppies, which can be really good socialization experience for a pup.

If he acts afraid of something (and it isn't something that he should be fearful of), stop, face whatever it is that he's afraid of - getting him to look at it, too, if you can, and very calmly, quietly, and matter of factly, tell him that it's ok - nothing to be afraid of. If you are nervous because he's afraid, or if you make too big a deal of his being afraid, he's more likely to decide that it is something he should be afraid of. If you are calm and show him that you aren't afraid, you're leading by your example.

If he's had some vaccinations (and you're keeping up with them regularly), I'd take him out to new and interesting areas where he'll meet new people and see more new things. That way, he'll tire a bit faster from all of the excitement and novelty, and as he interacts with other people, it will both tire him, and help with his socialization. Outdoor shopping centers or areas around grocery stores are often good places, as there are a lot of people there, and many, especially as they're going inside, really love to stop and pet cute puppies, which can be really good socialization experience for a pup.

If he acts afraid of something (and it isn't something that he should be fearful of), stop, face whatever it is that he's afraid of - getting him to look at it, too, if you can, and very calmly, quietly, and matter of factly, tell him that it's ok - nothing to be afraid of. If you are nervous because he's afraid, or if you make too big a deal of his being afraid, he's more likely to decide that it is something he should be afraid of. If you are calm and show him that you aren't afraid, you're leading by your example.

That's exactly what I do, I stop when he does, crouch down and explain that its ok while stroking him gently and calmingly. Sometimes depending on location after a few secs he will continue again. Other times he simply we not go further so I am forced to pick him up.

He interacts exceptionally well with strangers. He loves any and all attention from anybody he can. Infact when we are out walking and somebody does not come to pet him, Nero will stop and look at them for a sec like :o hehe

I'll be taking him for a LOOONG walk today because I have the afternoon free so will see how he does. I got him a couple of new toys just now aswell so they should help. Damn this dog has more toys than I did growing up!!!! :lol:

That's exactly what I do, I stop when he does, crouch down and explain that its ok while stroking him gently and calmingly. Sometimes depending on location after a few secs he will continue again. Other times he simply we not go further so I am forced to pick him up.

He interacts exceptionally well with strangers. He loves any and all attention from anybody he can. Infact when we are out walking and somebody does not come to pet him, Nero will stop and look at them for a sec like :o hehe

I'll be taking him for a LOOONG walk today because I have the afternoon free so will see how he does. I got him a couple of new toys just now aswell so they should help. Damn this dog has more toys than I did growing up!!!! :lol:

Most husky pups are gonna' be a ball of energy. From the sound of it your giving him plenty of exercise/training/socialization...well done! My puppy experience was nap/explosion, nap/explosion, and so on..... It's something that you have to accept.

The only thing I see wrong is comforting him when he's scared. It may seem like a good thing to do, but in actuality you're just praising him for being nervous/afraid. Picking him up is never a good thing to do. Best bet is to ignore and keep moving forward. You can do this slowly and gently, but stay positive/confident with the situation. When Silver was a pup I would choose a route to walk, tie his leash to my belt and just go. Never payed any attention to him and never looked back. I kept a good pace weaving in and out of obstacles and always blocked/corrected when he would try to get ahead of me. I never gave him a chance to think, be afraid, or question anything. On the way back I would reward him with sniffing, meet and greets, etc...

We got an interactive toy, its in a shape of a bone wit loads of layers n u put lots of treats on all the compartments, they have 2 work out how to push/nudge the bones 2 move them 2 get 2 the treats.

It keeps them entertained 4 ages n its loads of fun 4 u 2. We were pissin ouselves watchin Mushu work it out.

So much fun, will try 2 find a link :)

Found 1, her name is Ninna Otterson n she is really good.

Here is a link 2 a random place 2 get them from im sure she has her own website or there is 1 wit u.

http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-22192-nina-ottosson-dog-toy-tornado-interactive-puzzle-game.aspx?CAWELAID=437270710

The Tornado toy is the 1 we got, u can put a bone over some of the compartments 2 make it harder 4 them.

Hope the link works if not just google her name.

Em x

haha yea my dogs have more toys than i did growing up too... :)

Sorry if i did that wrong, i have NOO idea how to do this..