Puppy training

New to the site and new to owning my gorgeous loving little man.  He's been home for almost two weeks,  and he's almost 4 months old. He had a week of bed time with mom and dad,  but with the household accidents, he's starting crate training.  Dad is harsher on punishments, but mom is far too lenient.   and Nix sticks to mom like glue. Been with crate training for a week or so,  but his separation anxiety is giving mom anxiety. Dad owned many a dog, but this is a first for mom,  at least in adulthood. His crate is at the end of the bed.  Good or bad?  Should he be in another room? Dad leaves for work at 5am....can mom bring him in the bed then? 

Hi, he’s a beauty!
I can’t advise on crate training, didn’t do it with mine. With separation anxiety I’d start by leaving him for a few minutes at a time several times a day, let him see you walk out of the front door, no fuss when leaving and no fuss when you re enter, so he comes to realise this is normal, that you’ll leave and come back. Gradually build up the time that you leave, it does take time,but it works,I can leave mine for about 5 hrs now with no problems. Be consistent with training and I’ve found positive reinforced works best, no shouting or tapping/smacking as Nix will lose trust and your relationship with him will be difficult. They are smart and like to be with you/around you, they can become destructive if left for long periods on their own. As for leaving the crate in your room I’d say that’s a good thing as he’ll be able to see you, my 2 sleep on the floor in my room at night, I’d definitely bring him on the bed for cuddles, it’s great bonding for both of you. He’ll learn in time that he sleeps in his crate and he can come on the bed in the morning, it’s a case of repeating and they soon come to know their routine, consistency is key. Good luck and enjoy the puppy time, they grow so quickly [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

You’ll know the difference as your relationship with him grows. When mine were pups I’d take them out every 30-45 mins daily and during the night, they’d sleep for 4-5 hours at a time as soon as they were awake I’d take them outside, sometimes 3 or 4 in the morning. Cai was trained in just over 2 weeks and Luka blue was over 3 weeks, no mess since. He’ll prob whine to come on the bed but if you let him in the bed at the same time and be consistent with it he will learn, they learn quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived