Thrashing in Crate & Potty Training.. Among other things

Rory

This little derp is Rory. She's almost 5 months old and I've had her for about 2 months now. She is a dream, cuddly as can be, super sweet and affectionate. She sleeps in her crate just fine, no problems. What she does freak out over is when my fiance and I leave during the day. We both have off schedules, I work mornings and he works nights, so some one is always home with her so she only uses her crate for bedtime.

When she is crated during the day she thrashes around, screams and howls and has busted two iron crates, she throws herself against the doors so hard she knocks the latches off and squeezes through the top. Fiance has even zip tied the pieces of her crate together so she can't break them apart, but she still manages it :(.

When she's out of her crate and free roaming the house she pees and poops and pulls the shower curtain off it's hooks. 

In regards to potty training, she was ringing a bell and letting me know when she needed to go out, she did this for a full month and we had maybe 2 accidents the entire time. Now for the last two days she won't touch the bell and just goes wherever she wants in the house even though we let her out every 1.5 hours.

We are at our wits end. I am relocating temporarily for my job for 2 years, and she's coming with me. For two weeks I will be in an office training from 8am to 5pm with a lunch break, and after that I'll be able to work from the apartment I'm staying at. The landlord said she can come with me, but if she disturbed the residents or causes damage to the unit I cannot keep her with me. Someone please help I'm desperate.

She doesn't mind her crate, I feed her in it, I've done the limited times during the day where she's in it and treat her for being calm. She's up to 2 hours with no noise. It's only when we both leave. Any advice?

20170615_134024.jpg

I have a 10 month old boy Siberian Husky that does that too. What I've done to quiet him down is place a blanket (throw blanket) over the area he can see me and he lays down and goes to sleep. That's been the only thing that has worked for me. Now the blanket never covers the entire cage. It only covers the area where he can see us.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

f1ae2e9b0c709e0081039e3ace79b3c6.jpg

Hi, have you tried using safety gates to limit access to rooms?
Husky's don't like to be left on their own for too long, when I was training my two to be left on their own I started by leaving them for 5-10 mins and I'd go out of the front door and return but I didn't make any fuss when I came back in. It's a slow process, my two are 16 months and 14 months and I can now leave for 4 hours without them destroying anything. She prob doesn't mind being in her crate if she knows you're in the house but it's a different story when you're out. I would prob start from scratch with potty training and reward for doing it outside, limit where she can go inside until she's trained, she'll prob pee in the same place she can smell it inside, try and get a good cleaner to eradicate the pee smell, even if you can't smell it she will. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I use a kennel instead, so she can't actually break it. I try being firm with her and praise her alot plus treats when she does something well. That's how she learned to use the pads properly. Also my mom puts her soft music and that calms her down.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived