separation anxiety?

Samsonite1020

Hello, 

I am looking for some information on those of you who have had to deal with separation anxiety.  My three year old Husky howls anytime I leave the house.  If my wife or others leave she is fine it only seems to be when I leave whether its for  work or just to the store.   I am trying to curb the behaviour as we have a new born at home that keeps getting woken up by her howling.   Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Put something of your old worn clothing in the dogs bed it also stops bad behaviour

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

You must have a well behaved dog mine would rip clothes to shreds!

I've not experienced separation anxiety with someone still in the house before, but when Astro was a puppy I started leaving him for a minute then building the time up

Separation anxiety is usually coupled with destructive behaviour, are they being destructive too?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

We started with leaving the house for 30 secs with a command "watch the house" and a treat, then came back in and say something like did yuou watch the house and a treat.. build that up for a couple of weeks with a longer time span every time.. and they have free roaming of the house...

When we first got Bear from the rescue his anxiety was BAD! He would tear up everything in his crate, including the crate tray, and escape from it. He broke out of it a few times...we now padlock the weak areas so he can't break out anymore. The first week was especially bad...

He's gotten much better since then, now 3 months in, and we haven't really done anything different. We always give a small treat when him and our other dog go in their crates but it really has just been time with him to help him adjust. He still tries to break out but not the freak out kind at the beginning.

So...no tips really lol. Time and giving him reassurance we're coming back haha

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived