Racing with a rescue dog

Just after picking someone's brains really. I understand that if you rescue a Husky through SHCGB you get a welfare number that enables you to race with them. What happens if you rescue a husky that didn't come through SHCGB? Is there any way one can race? Also I would imagine this would be quite taboo but is there anyway of racing with a Huskamute. I get the impression this is very frowned upon that the dog wouldn't be one or the other but I am looking at the poor love, and she is sooooo pretty, but we would really start like to start working a dog and so it would be foolish of me to think of offering a home to a dog that we wouldn't be able to race.

Any opinions gratefully received!

Unfortunately, the SHCGB will only allow KC registered dogs or dogs with SHCGB Welfare Numbers to race in their events. Both BSHRA and ABSA allow unregistered dogs to run, but they do assess the dogs first in order to ascertain that they are one of the purebred sled dog breeds. Make sure that yoiu contact them early so that you can get registered for the 2010/2011 season. I am not sure about AMWA but I think they only allow KC registered dogs to run.

As far as your Huskamute is concerned, there are one or two Open Races held during the year, but they are few and far between and (I think) mostly in Scotland).

Mick