ivermex

have a very important questions.....first let me say all my dogs are heartworm NEGATIVE and were on heratworm preventive heartguard multi i believe...but with the way the economy is my house is now down to 1 income...well to be honest i really cant afford the heartguard right now for my three dogs...i have heard of a oral supplemnet called IVERMEX forgive me if spelled wrong, it sold at feed store and can be given by mouth, i guess its 1 cc oer 10 pounds.....but am unsure if this is what i should give them... i dont want to harm them in anyway by doing this, of course i have called vet and he encourages me to but his $98.00 dollar heartguard multi .which i would have to buy 3 seperate one because my dogs fall in 3 different weights categories.........just looking for some info on what i should do....i want them on preventive meds but realistically i cant afford it til we get second income in the home........so please any adv would help........why couldnt there be places that donate these things for animals like food is donated for humans...i still give them their frontline as i can get single vials of it cheap but thet is no good for heartworm........................................................please give me some info

yes i live in the states the south none to less....we are plagued by heartworm

I believe the product is called IVERMAX. There is another product called IVOMEC. Both are wormers designed for cattle and horses. I don't believe it will do the same job as HeartGard. In fact, if you follow the dosage on the container and give it to a dog, it may infact be fatal. The medicine used in both products is the same or similar to HeartGard, but so much more potent. Please do not go down this path. It is also a violation of Federal law (in the US) to administer either of the products, IVERMAX or IVOMEC other than described on the labeling**. Neither of these products is formulated for nor intended for use on dogs.

I know there are some cheaper products for dogs, other than HeartGard. Inteceptor is a very good heartworm preventive and I think the dose is about $3 cheaper than HeartGuard and IverMax Plus is about $4 cheaper than HeartGard. Of course, that is in our area. You should discuss this with your vet, and see if they have some less expensive alternatives. You should also be able to buy a dose at a time. Also, when buying through your vet, the drug manufacturers will stand behind their products. Buy through a feed store, an online supply, or other than a vet, and their support becomes very limited, very quickly.

**AMDUCA, the Animal Medical Drug Use Clarification Act. Prohibits using an off label drug when the active ingredient already exists in a labelled drug for that purpose in that species. In other words, if it don't say it's for dogs, you are not supposed to use it on dogs.