Zinc deficiency??

Hi,

We've had this skin problem arise on Luna, it's currently only around her eyes and a bit around her nose, but it appears to be spreading as it only started around one eye.

We've been to the vets who've told us it could be a multitude of problems of which included an infection, mites or zinc deficiency. We've been given antibiotics which haven't done anything, he said that diagnosing a zinc deficiency would be months down the line. After some research we've found experiences of others having this problem with huskies being a zinc deficiency. Does anyone here recognise this as a zinc deficiency and have any advice? We've started giving her some salmon oil with her food to see if it helps. Would anyone recommend zinc tablets for dogs to see if it clears up?

We really don't want to make her go through months and months of tests at the vets and it turns out to be this zinc problem which we could cure quicker.

post-7657-1358603881393_thumb.jpg

post-7657-13586038812876_thumb.jpg

Edited by CharP

I would also consider the diet. Could be an allergy, what is your dogs diet? If you are okay with feeding raw food lamb and veal liver are high in zinc. Diet is usually the culprit, some dogs just dont do well on kibble alone. I get my meat at a local butcher which is so much cheaper than the grocery store. They usually have scraps and can buy in bulk and freeze.

Thanks for the replies. We currently feed her meat and kibble and since visiting the vet have added salmon oil to her diet too. Might try giving her some meat high in zinc as the meat she's been having can't have enough as this problem has started since.

This is what I feed my Koda with the skin allergies. He is now handsome as ever. I rotate vegetables and fruits so I will name them all. I put in 5 veggies from list and two fruits.

Morning Meal- I use a food processor to mix- VEG (celery, carrots, kale leaf, flax seed, pumpkin, sweet potato, zucchini)

Fruits (apple, blueberries, strawberries, pear , bananna)

I mix veggies and fruits with one hard boiled egg, 2 tablespoons of plain low fat yogurt, 1 pound of organ meat (beef kidney or veal liver) and half a cup of kibble (Purina One Salmon sensative stomach)

Evening meal- Meat- chicken leg quarter large or half rack beef rib (his favorite) or turkey quarter large, or 2 pounds of lamb (high in zinc) or 2 pounds of cooked wild caught fish only NOT farmed- (salmon or some white fish)

Also peanut butter is high in zinc as well. I have a great recipe for icecube peanut butter and yogurt treats that my dogs love.

melt 2 cups of peanut butter on the stove- no sugar organic- burns easily so keep stirring until mushy, then add in a bowl

32 ounce tub of low fat plain yogurt- I use stonyfield

1 chopped up banana

Pour contents into icecube trays, makes about 3 icecube trays full. Freeze for 2-4 hours. They enjoy them frozen, especially on a hot day :)

Thanks for the replies. We currently feed her meat and kibble and since visiting the vet have added salmon oil to her diet too. Might try giving her some meat high in zinc as the meat she's been having can't have enough as this problem has started since.

If it is zinc deficiency, salmon oil will not help significantly. You'd have to feed a lot of meat high in zinc to make for the daily dose. Therefore if your vet has ruled out other conditions, I would go back there and ask him for a proper zinc supplement. Yeah, he'll have to take his dermatology book out probably as it doesn't seem to me like he is familiar with this sort of skin issues. I don't know what brands are available in the UK, but the vet should at least advise you about the dosage.

We had a similar issue (albeit the lesions were not that extended) and we had to give ours zinc supplements for about 2-3 months until it cleared out.

Another thing that helps is avoiding too high a calcium intake - calcium can inhibit zinc absorption. Check out the calcium content in the kibble as well. You should probably stay away from dairy products.

Hi guys, I think Ghost might have zinc def. as well:

post-6960-13586040437262_thumb.jpg

Why I jump to conclusions is that his nose was getting very dry and although the test from his poops found only worms, our vet did raise concerns for maybe not having enough zinc and vitamin A. We were told by a breeder that he might have a Rickets so he was fed cottage cheese for about 2,5 weeks. Then he hit his back paw and was taken to vet. My bf told vet about all this, and they did rtg of his legs which instead showed dysplasia. D: So he's getting joint nourishment. So I wanted to ask, having gone to the vet again with this, won't his increased dosages of calcium and probably with this zinc and vitamin A which is needed for zinc (right?) create some other problem? Lately there's not been one week when I don't go with him to the vet.

Although I'm suspicious of Ghost if his not having all his troubles on purpose, he likes the treats he gets at the vet. :D