Gimp 2.8 (Stable) Released

Dave

Today the newest GIMP version 2.8 has been publically made available. The community has been eagerly waiting for it for years, but the waiting time was worth it at full extent. GIMP 2.8 comes with a huge bunch of new features and is a really big milestone in the development of GIMP.

http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00420-gimp-2-8-finally-released

imminent seems about right, from their website

GIMP 2.8 is, as any open source software, available in source code. If you want to try it out, you can either compile it yourself or wait for binaries which will follow very soon.

We will keep you up to date when binaries for the various platforms become available.

Thanks for sharing this as I wouldn't have gone looking for it myself, I'll be waiting on the binaries:up:

For the Windows users this is probably the page you want to follow.

GIMP is originally made for Linux and is ported to Windows afterwards, hence it takes a bit of time before it's also updated for the Windows platform.

I've been using the 2.8 development/alpha version for nearly half a year now and I'm loving it. Very stable! GIMP now makes a distinction between saving (.xcf files) and exporting (.jpg/.png/etc) which IMO is much more logical. Previously when you accidentally saved to a jpg and reopening afterwards you realise all your layers and editing history have vanished. Window-mode is good if you have one monitor. For dual screen users having everything in a seperate windows is still much better (you can use one screen for the image and the other for the tools). I was very happy when I noticed it was simply a toggleable option and it wasn't being forced upon you :up: