ok really? (cat issue)

so my little meow girl is almost 2 years old now and i know for a fact she is, and has been for a long time, well aware of how to use her litter box. since we moved to our new house in october she has developed a nasty habit of pooping (not peeing) BESIDE her litter box. She's only 7lbs so it's not too small for her and i clean it daily (only a one cat household, and she only poops once a day so i dont really think thats the issue) if anyone else has had this issue and solved it i need help!!

i have been dealing with one cat that has had the same EXACT issue for A YEAR. i tried placing him in the laundry room with a large litter box, food and water for an entire day several times and he still went outside the box :(

have you followed these basic steps?

1. Keeping the litter box clean? Possibly providing two one for pee and one for poo (I have multiple cats so multiple litter boxes doesn't work for us)

2. Ruled out any health issues? (my cat that poops outside the litter only began doing it due to an abscess on his hiney; after that he never went back to using the litter box for pooping)

3. Does he like the litter you use? (I'm guessing this is the case since he uses it to pee)

4. Is your cat large so she probably overshoots the box? Try getting a larger box? (I have cats that tipy tipy toe when they poo and their bum goes over the brim of the box so it's unintentional that it falls outside)

5. One big thing that helped me that I actually recently noticed and am still experimenting with is the amount of litter in the box. If you get two boxes keep one filled high and one with almost nothing in it simulating the ground that she likes to poo on. It might coax her back into the box...

hope this helps a wee...

Doing their business right next to the litter box is often a clear protest against something. When we had foster-kittens (they where in a separate room but I guess they could smell them) one of our cats did it too and it stopped as soon we brought the kittens back to the shelter.

I've told your problem to my mother, she's all about the cats ;) She sad it can actually help if you provided a second litter box and place it somewhere in the house (not next to where she also get feed of course). Sometimes cats don't like a certain place to have their litter box in and this'll give him a better choice. Our two cats have the strange habit of peeing in one and pooing in the other too :rolleyes: An other option is the move the current litter box to a different place and see if that's better for your cat.

Doing their business right next to the litter box is often a clear protest against something. When we had foster-kittens (they where in a separate room but I guess they could smell them) one of our cats did it too and it stopped as soon we brought the kittens back to the shelter.

I've told your problem to my mother, she's all about the cats ;) She sad it can actually help if you provided a second litter box and place it somewhere in the house (not next to where she also get feed of course). Sometimes cats don't like a certain place to have their litter box in and this'll give him a better choice. Our two cats have the strange habit of peeing in one and pooing in the other too :rolleyes: An other option is the move the current litter box to a different place and see if that's better for your cat.

wow ok yeah because the set up is that she has her litter box in our cold storage in the basement (its a no dog zone of the house, her safe place) and her food is above it on shelf about 2 feet up. so if i maybe move the box to the other side of the basement this may solve it? never thought of that..