Video Render Farm

Mazz

My son has two BA degrees, and has had a terrible time finding employment. He does industrial animations for the company that I work for, but he does so on an order basis, so he is not an employee. One of the issues he has is when it comes to rendering the final product. His one and only computer that he uses to develop the videos, is also used to render the videos; so when a video is rendering, he can't use the computer for anything else. He's decided to build a render farm, starting off small with two boxes, and will build from there. Has anyone had any experience with compiling or using a render farm? Any info would be appreciated.

I've not come as far as building a render farm so far (although I'd love to if I had too much money) so I don't have any experience with it. What software is he using? I know for a fact that Blender has a LOT of documentation available online about all its stuff and the rendering.

I myself have a (custom built) computer with a 4 core cpu. I've learned to render using 3 cpu's leaving the other one left for the daily things. So it's easy for me to render video projects while doing other stuff (they usually vary from 30 minutes to 7 hours in render time). Even then I always have laptop and a second computer available if needed :rolleyes:

Hey Jos - Not sure what software he uses. Some of the projects he has done take up to ten days to render on his PC, which he built. That's why he wants to set up a render farm. Though with two computers, render garden may be a more accurate term.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk.