Baying Beagle OMG help!

post-1-13586077517439_thumb.jpg

Please ignore that my daughter feels the need to steal MY socks...The little baying bandit that I'm asking for help with is the tiny little thing pictured with her. Huskies are stubborn yes...that little Beagle right there though...darling Tinkerbell quite often makes my stubborn boy seem like the saint of all dogs...

Since she came out of heat her baying has gotten worse...and I'm at a loss as to what to do or how to correct it. We've tried teaching her 'speak' and 'no speak' the end result...a pause in the baying and then she picks it back up until we physically remove her from the area. This is doable in the house, but when we take her on walks its insane...every person, bicycle, dog, cat, squirrel, car, skittering leaf, lawnmower, etc gets a huuuuge baying as if she were actually on the hunt. Yes beagles are hunting dogs, and yes they bay...but this is just downright excessive. Help anyone???

post-2200-13585974783568_thumb.jpg

LOL! That sounds like me four years ago when I bought my beagle home! My Sibe is an ANGEL comparatively :)

Beagles are dogs that not only need a lot of physical exercise but a LOT of mental exercise. All that lunging and baying and scenting is pent up drive that needs a release. High energy training sessions involving tugging with a toy, or playing shaping games where the dog gets to use their mind will help a lot.

I must admit that I found my beagle 1000000000 times harder to live with than my Sibe, yes he has a fair amount of drive (maybe more so than my beagle in some ways) and a spitz temperament but gee he has nothing on my beag. She's more fun to train though.

We do play the egg crate game, and we were doing scent training for a bit (before my beloved toddler dumped our rabbit scent all over my bedroom floor and I got to shampoo it...again). She's recently made it through her first heat and lord was that a trial. She's such a contrast to our Husky because on the one hand she's content to cuddle and curl up by people...where as cuddles with Fox are on an as he tolerates you basis...but on the other hand if she's not cuddling and relishing affection she is an unholy baying terror. We've actually had neighbors come to our door to make sure we weren't being robbed or otherwise accosted because of her enthusiasm for letting the world know she see's something. Fox loves attention and playing with all dogs...Tinkerbell tolerates Fox and only really gets on well with the beagle our friends have (who...not suprisingly at all is just as picky about getting on with other dogs)...every other dog she tolerates...

The exception to this is at the dog park...where she's timid and shy and Follows Fox around. Fox tries to show her how we play at the dog park, but she either isn't interested or doesn't get it. It's amusing to watch...we'll get there and she'll stick close to people...Fox will seek out other dogs, and then begin running around. When he remembers that Tinkerbell is there, he runs over to her...tries to wrestle with her...then tries to get him to chase her. She'll chase him for about 10 feet...then look at him like he's retarded because she's not going to catch him....and go back to following around the people types. There is no baying at the dog park...there is massive baying anywhere else she sees other dogs.

Definitely going to have to look into getting some more scent based games for her. Her recall is better than Fox's unless she's caught a scent...then well I could be calling her back with bacon wrapped fillet mignon and she would ignore me.

• 2 weeks later...

Have increased the number of scent based games we're doing with her...

Apart from that there is no progress to report. If anything she's barking and baying and baying and barking at everything more and more often...took her with us on a walk a bit back...there was a dog on the other side of the street and after three blocks of me praying that they would turn down a side street because she was baying and trying to get across the street the WHOLE time...she kept baying. On the spot corrections, redirection, treats, physically getting between her and the dog in her line of site...nothing.

On an up note...she's finally sitting when she's told...