Leash Training Help

Ok so Silas and Koda we have to train on a leash. They are use to the leash being on them so it doesn't bother them. The first few times we walked them at every stop sign we came to, we would give them a treat and that seemed to help them to not pull on the leash and to actually walk with us. They have been doing great until about a week ago. Everytime we take them to the dog park, they are walking in front of us, eager to get there. However, when we walk back they are constantly tugging on the leash, sitting down, and Koda even layed down today. They are also going crazy for all the dogs in their fences that we walk by--constantly tugging at the leash and pulling to get to the dogs. I don't let them stop and see the other dogs, I just keep them walking. But I was wondering if we should go back to the treat at every stop sign or what I should do about it. Help would be greatly appreciated.

You can try to only move towards the other dogs when they are calm. Walking towards the dogs is the reward for being calm, so no treats needed. As soon as they pull stop and just stand there until they are calm. May take some time and patience. Sounds to me they are just very excited to go play!!! Just like little kids when you take them to the play ground they usually run ahead... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our dog park has a little bench outside, if yours has a bench somewhere close maybe just sit there with them and make them watch for a while. I know its mean, but maybe it helps them control their excitement.

You can try to only move towards the other dogs when they are calm. Walking towards the dogs is the reward for being calm, so no treats needed. As soon as they pull stop and just stand there until they are calm. May take some time and patience. Sounds to me they are just very excited to go play!!! Just like little kids when you take them to the play ground they usually run ahead... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our dog park has a little bench outside, if yours has a bench somewhere close maybe just sit there with them and make them watch for a while. I know its mean, but maybe it helps them control their excitement.

Ok never mind not sure what I read the first time and where I got the dog park from :blink: Anyway, if you can maybe walk away from the fences where the other dogs are at. Can you go to the other side of the street? Or just turn around if they pull and walk back the direction you came from until they are calm then turn and walk back towards the dog again and repeat as necessary. If they are calm treat them...or maybe you can distract them with a treat or a squeaky toy while walking past the other dog and if they dont pull then praise them and treat? Just some ideas.

Even walking on the other side of the road, they still tug and pull when the other dogs start barking and whining. I will actually try the stand and waiting for them to be calm then treat them to meeting the other dogs. Also, when we go to the dog park I can try the bench thing, because they pull and tug when we are by the fence to the park.

Even walking on the other side of the road, they still tug and pull when the other dogs start barking and whining. I will actually try the stand and waiting for them to be calm then treat them to meeting the other dogs. Also, when we go to the dog park I can try the bench thing, because they pull and tug when we are by the fence to the park.

Try to take them back to where you guys came from maybe they get the hint: Ooooopppssss if we act a fool we go backwards. Good luck and keep us updated.