Snail Eating

Hiya

I was jst after a bit of advice ive jst notice Naketah is eating snails my garden looks like a grave yard with her. I didnt mind but when i spoke to my mate this morning she said they can get heart worm from eating snails and slugs

Is this true? not something i heard about jst wondered if any1 has heard it b4 an if it is true will need to get her heart worm tablets

Thanks in advance

xXx

i found this on huskyresources.com

If you feed your husky or sled dog oudoors, it is important that you bring their bowl inside once your dog has finished eating. Slugs and snails may be attracted to food remnants in the bowl and crawl into it. Dogs can pick up lungworm from the slime trails left by slugs and snails. Lungworm is a nasty, potentially fatal parasite and many worming treatments do not protect against it. Make sure that you use a wormer that protects your dog from lungworm, and don't leave food bowls outside longer than necessary.

glad i looked bcoz ozzy eats outside!!!! will be making sure that i am washing all my bowls properly

Nicola, what worming treatment do you use? Theres one you can get from the vet on perscription (or just get the perscription and then fill it at a manor pharmacy works out cheaper) its called Advocat and it covers both lung and heart worm as well as all the others, theres one it doesnt cover (cant remember which) but you can just get one tab of milnmax to cover that one... this is the regieme I use as my girl is constantly in the garden picking up and eating god knows what! :D

ive jst spoke to a pharm company which produces a worming tablet

Now my mind is completely boggled lol

Apparently this type of lung worm the angiostrongylus 1 (also know as french heartworm) is wat dogs are at risk of getting if they eat snail / slugs etc an not many companies r licenced to treat this type of only advocate precription free and Milbmax prescription required

Theres another type of lungworm (simular to round worm) which Panacur granules can get rid of

My brain is melting lol

to much info

Y does she need 2 eat snails

grrr

xXx

was gonna say i posted a thread a while back lol - i use advocate for my dogs too - luckily mine dont eat snails i wud try and prevent it if u can - also if uve got toys outside for the dogs check them cuz if snails have gone on them they will need cleaning because they can still get lung worm that way - and chews or bones will need binning too