My dog gets way too excited and uncontrollable

My sibe is a lovely dog, he is so effectionate and loves t run and play however when we have visitors he goes psycho jumping all over them with excitement and no matter what I say or do he doesnt listen. He also acts the same when we see a dog on walks. He pulls soo much on the lead too, so much that he jumps down the road on his hind legs. We are going to see if a behaviourist can give us some advice but any ideas on here are welcome. We do have another sibe and I think some of it is fighting for affection and competing with each other but I can handle my other sibe as she is more laidback and actually listens when I tell her off. They are so different. Need help especially with a baby on the way !!!!

Well saw the website in the Wigan paper so made me want to join ha.

If people turn their backs on him he carries on jumping and hurts their backs or nearly pushes them over. He has always been like this but it gets to me now more so because we are having a baby and I just worried we wont be able to handle him and he may hurt the baby accidentally because of his bouncing energy, I know it wouldnt be intentional.

Yep, it could well be some competitive behavior for attention.

My two are big babies. Chewy has recently decided that it is

unfair for me to pat Angel and not be patting him at the same

time, lol, so weve had to do some training exercises so he will

calm down and not get so bossy or pushy when Im trying to do

something with angel.

With the visitors to the house you could try a couple of things. First

you could try crating him for the first several minutes until he sits or

lays down and becomes quiet, and then allow him out but only on

leash so you have more control. OR...if u are comfortable, put him

on leash just before visitors come in, and then do not allow him to

sniff, jump on, or get any attention from visitors until he calms down.

have the human visitor initiate greetings with him and not him. he

should not be patted or spoken to by visitors unless he is sitting or

laying down and quiet. If they try to pay him attention and he starts to

get jumpy and noisy, tell the person to back away again until he calms

down again.

That advice can take several repititions but eventually they calm down.

Chewy has issues when people knock, ring the doorbell, and are invited

in and hes not allowed in the room until he stops being jumpy and noisy.

we tried the on leash for awhile and it worked with one friend and one of

my neighbors, but my other friend is very standoffish about dogs and

doesnt like dogs and I guess he could tell because he still gets upset

when she comes around.

Sam you are describing my dogs to the T. We are getting a behaviorist/trainer in to help with the jumping up against visitors and with leash pulling next week - hopefully it will help. Let us know how it goes with yours. Good luck smile.gif

Thanks for your comments everyone. The only problem with trying the leash on him is that he gets very excited when the leash comes out and makes him worse. I had him calm down in another room where he could actually see the visitors and he sat and was calm but as soon as he moves thats when it he goes mental. If you calm him down on the lead and then let the lead loose again he goes mental just the same. We try and reward calm behaviour and tell him hes a good boy but hes not interested he gets fixated on something and just ignores us completely. The only thing that he is good with is recall. He never runs away.

I have started using canned air with Nikita. She is normally very head strong and doesn't listen to much of anything. She tends to get wound up in the house and tries playing with Sampson, but due to the smallness of our flat and the bigness of Nikita we can't really let her play indoors. We also had a problem with her getting on the furniture and refusing to get down and if we tried to pull her off she would peeunsure.gif

A short burst of the air gets her attention and she stops what she is doing instantly. Now she knows what the can is and all we have to do if she is not listening is pick it up and she stops and backs away from what she is doing

Might not work with yours but it does the treat with Nikita.