fursuit

got a fancy dress party next month and want sumthing abit different - i thought what better than 2 go AS a husky!! :D only thing is i cnt find a husky fursuit thats cheap and i cnt find out how 2 make 1 either - if any1 can help me by finding 1 cheap OR finding AS MANY LINKS AS POSSIBLE on how 2 make a husky fursuit i'd GREATLY appreciate it xx

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a fancy dress party next month and want sumthing abit different - i thought what better than 2 go AS a husky!! :D only thing is i cnt find a husky fursuit thats cheap and i cnt find out how 2 make 1 either - if any1 can help me by finding 1 cheap OR finding AS MANY LINKS AS POSSIBLE on how 2 make a husky fursuit i'd GREATLY appreciate it xx

Wow, so how I wound up here ... I am actually making a husky fursuit right now for a friend and was searching for what to use to slick the fur-down.

Anyways, I find making fursuits to be a really interesting hobby because it requires a vast amount of artistic, creative and engineering skill. I started with a doberman, built and otter, and am working on a husky and doberman in parallel now.

I initially built stuff with mesh, but it is slow and PITA. My goal is to turn out a complete fursuit in less then 2 weeks time working only after work.

So here is some quick input:

1. I use a balaclava method, you can be really lazy and sew a balaclava or get a cheap one from amazon (< 7$), I prefer to sew them.

2. Get some cheap foam from a Joannes or some other fabric shop, 1 - 2" think foam works well, for the muzzle 4"+ or thicker. (Joannes has 40% off coupons if you sign up for their email flyers).

3. Find something about head sized as a dummy - put the balaclava on it and glue the foam to the balaclava/w hotglue, then use a razor blade or sissors to make it roughly husky shaped. Don't worry about how perfect the foam feels, proportion and shape are about what you need. I use a head armature, from monstermakers.com, but you could alternatively just make a duct tape dummy of your head, taking appropriate precautions.

4. Using duct-tape tape cover the foam in duct tape, your trying to capture the shape of the foam with duct tape for a pattern.

5. Draw the fur patterns on the duct tape with a magic marker.

6. Using a razor blade score the duct tape along the lines you drew for fur patterns.

7. Remove duct tape, you now have duct tape patterns from the head, with the appropriate fur patterns

8. Lay these patterns on fabric, cut the fabric - you'll have to pleat the fur. (I got the husky fur from fabric.com & imstuffedfur.com - I don't love it, but it works)

9. Sew the fabric together (I hand sew it using a double overhand stitch)

10. Pull the fabric back over the head, you now should have a form fitting head, glue it with hot glue, starting at the nose and going back. (in the attached pictures the husky head is at this point)

10.5 - Shave the fur down

11. Put details in the mouth / pink felt / sculpy teeth

12. Make a nose out of sculpy

13. Eyes can either be made from sheets of white foamies or cut out from a bowl, personally I cheat here and print out the eyes on a printer, and make 3d eyes ... that is an whole other topic

14. Ears can be made by using foamies glued and cut, then covered with fur.

And hopefully you'll have a husky head ! The bodies are pretty much find a pattern and sew - or make a duct tape dummy and sew. It sounds harder then it is, the hardest part is getting started and getting over hesitation of ruining or destroying supplies. It sounds really dorky, but I pretty much have an undergrad art degree, and I find making fursuits far more enjoyable then water color painting (which is my second favorite artistic endeavor.)

Alternatively I can point you to someone who makes them for a living, expect to pay ~ 1800$+ USD for a custom made fursuit or look on www.furbid.ws (NSFW!) for an existing fursuit.

post-1664-13585952080836_thumb.jpg

post-1664-13585952081746_thumb.jpg

post-1664-13585952106596_thumb.jpg

WOW thank you soooo much!!! added 2 rep - i think its gonna cost me ALOT 2 make 1 i might just save up and buy 1 but im not sure - do u take commisions? how much wud u charge sum1 who wants a husky 1 just a grey and white furred - about 5'4 and a size 8 - so pretty small lmao

WOW thank you soooo much!!! added 2 rep - i think its gonna cost me ALOT 2 make 1 i might just save up and buy 1 but im not sure - do u take commisions? how much wud u charge sum1 who wants a husky 1 just a grey and white furred - about 5'4 and a size 8 - so pretty small lmao

No problem, they arn't cheap to make unless you can find the foam and fur for cheap. The otter probably cost me about 300$ USD in supplies, I found the fur for cheap at a local fabric shop and buy scraps of foam for cheap. The husky I am making will cost probably closer to 500$ USD in supplies because I had to pay full price for the fur.

Unfortunately I don't take commisions, I do this for fun and I think taking comissions would take the fun out of it.

Here is a list of fursuit makers, who you could commission:

http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,31257.0.html

Good luck!

Thanks

kc