new husky pup smells

tewa

hi all experienced husky owners

I would like to ask for your advice.

I have just bought a husky pup about 5 days ago. We live in malaysia in a high humidity country when i first bought her she really smelled bad. took her to the vbet and the vet said she had dandruff problems. Took her home and saw a lot of fleas. So we got some frontline and sprayed her coat with it. two days later i took her for a bath. she smelled fine for two days and now shes starting to smell again.

Should i bathe her again so that the dandruff shampoo can start to kick in or is it too soon.

and if i dont shower her what else can i do to try and solve the smell problem.

your help would be very much appreciated.

thanks

i would take her back to the vet she might have a skin condition other than the dandruff ?? i wouldnt bathe ur pup again tho as she will loose the natural oils her coat produces - have you tried doggy deodorant (you should be able to get some from a pet shop near you)

welcome to the pack :) please post some pictures of your puppy :)

thanks for the welcome

i will get some pics and post when i can.

i think i will take her to another vet. the vet we went to i can honestly say is someone i am not very confident in. i can get a deordorant thats not a problem but i would rather get a cure for the problem rather then mask it.

thanks for your help. the fleas seem to be dying quickly.

I bought it from the pet storre. Here in east malaysia husky with two blue eyes are quite rare so i snapped her up straight away. thats why i was hoping to get some info from experienced husky owners on this forum.

hi and welcome to the site, instead of bathing her to often can you get the dry shampoo from your pet shop, it's in a spray you just spray it on and rub her down. But as said i would advice going to the vets and ask them to check her skin.

pic's are a must, i have two with bright blue eyes and one with brown xxxx

Hi

If your husky is a purebred Husky, with no other breed in there, She SHOULDN'T smell, as one characteristic of the breed is their LACK of 'doggy' smell. If she has a smell and you can't put it down to anything in the environment she's coming into contact with, you need to have her checked by a vet as would suggest to me there is an underlying problem that needs addressing. (another vet if your not happy with the one you have seen. 'Doggy' smell would be the kind of odour you'd get if you owned a hound bred for instance, like a beagle, pointer etc, who do have a 'dog' smell to them. Huskies don't have that and you should basically smell NOTHING on a Husky kept in a clean environment. When she was bathed, did you also launder or change her bedding? as she could have picked up her initial smell from that if not. Is there anything where she's played or walked that she could have layed on or rolled in?. Has she had or got diarrhoea? as certain diseases causing diarrhoea have a very distinctive smell (including parvovirus) The only time I've encountered healthy smelly Huskies is when they are kept on smelly bedding (unwashed blankets or straw etc outside not changed regularly enough) and it's a bit of a pet hate of mine. Our crate blankets are washed weekly and if I can smell ANYTHING in our dog van, the whole thing, cages and everything get scrubbed and fettled out.

Hi and welcome to the pack :)

The flee's won't make her smell - does she roll in anything she shouldn't do? Sibes are notorious for not being smelly - yeah you get the "wet dog" smell when they get wet but when they're dry you shouldn't notice a problem?