Zoey WILL NOT use the bathroom outside!

Hello everyone...Im so glad I found this forum....I have a young husky I found last week...so far noone is looking for her....but anyway we decided if the owners dont show up we will keep her ....she is well trained, she can sit, lay, shake hands, roll over and stay....So someone has invested some time with this dog...but Im starting to think she was dumped. she is skin and bones, she is eating but not putting on any weight.

The problem Im having is she will not go outside....she will hold it in for as long as she can until she just cant hold it any more and she goes in the floor...Im talking only going the bathroom twice a day!!! I let her out first thing in the morning....and nothing...she will not go....

She acts very submissive so Im thinking she has been heavily dicsiplined for going the restroom....

Ive walked her on the leash trying to get her to go..., ive taken a paper towel i used to clean up her accident and put it outside, and still nothing, ive tied her out...for 30 minutes to an hour....and she will wait until she comes back in to go...

I have trained many a dog to be housebroke and this is my first dog that i have no clue as to what to do.

Ive named her zoey and she is a beautiful solid white with bi eyes. I think she is a young dog....a year maybe? If noone has claimed her by Friday she is going to the vet.

I could use all the advice I can get with this one please!!

thanks

Teresa

post-1544-13585950887194_thumb.jpg

awe poor girl! I bet she's glad u found her! As for the potty training try catching her in the act and lifting her bum up. She will most likely stop peeing and give her a firm "NO! OUTSIDE!" and take her straight out. Hopefully she will continue to pee outside and after that give her good praise and some treats. Also try to give her a cue word like we use "go potty" for Pongo because he sometimes gets distracted from the reason he is outside in the first place lol. Good luck and I'm sure others will have some great advice!

hey teresa,

poor puppy!!!! she is lucky to have found you.

she will learn eventually to do her 'business' (our poo n wee command) she just needs positive re-inforcement training.

i hope she is your forever dog and that she brings you lots of happiness

Hi teresa and welcome to the pack

Poor thing - sounds like she's had some negative experiences with toileting :(

Positive comments and rewards will help, if she does anything in the house - ignore it, praise the good and ignore the bad also try and clean up the mess when she's not looking

She will learn in time it's ok to toilet outside, poor thing, please let us know how you get on x

Bless you for rescueing this beautiful girl!!

Try taking her out for a whole day and take her food and water with you, dont watch her intently as it sounds like she has learned that going in front of owners gets you told off, this can be a common problem with people who are inexperienced at potty training a dog and scold it for going in the house, all it learns is to be sneaky when going.. so wait her out till she does go while your out then praise like she has just made you the nicest thing in the whole world, she will quickly get the idea that your not going to shout at her and relax enough to go infront of you more regularly then its just a matter of directing her to outside! smile.gif

Just an update:......Zoey is doing so well!!! She is going outside now, down to one accident a day...hoping to stop that soon as well.

Ive had her just over a week and still noone has claimed her...Bad for them great for me lol

Ive taken her on 2 mile walks, she does great, I think it wears her out but its great to have someone to walk with again.

Im going to wait a couple more weeks then she is off to get spayed....

This is a wonder forum and I have learned so much here!!! thank you again!!