Databases, I just love em'

shedalot

I’ll start by saying I’m a records freak. I keep track of everything. I first learned about databases using MS Access and became very good at it over time. With that, I built a few databases that kept records for home and for work. After a while, I couldn’t stand the fact that I had a hard time using Access DB’s on different computers. This version wouldn’t work with that version…..different screen resolutions screwed up all the forms on different computers, etc. When I discovered that my old computer would not be able to run a newer version of Access, I decided to go another route…MySQL.

I have a website that’s not much on the public side, but behind the scenes, I now have access to about 6,500 records, in 83 tables on 8 databases. Using php, I am able to search, add, update and delete records where necessary. Best of all, I can do this from anywhere in the world. I also have a very cool script called phpmybackuppro, which, with just one click, will backup, and email me every one of my databases in an instant. I like peace of mind when it comes to all my records, which include:

Financial stuff (I can see how much I have in the bank without visiting my bank’s website)

I can track all my expenses, grocery stuff, recipes, Sheba’s records, work stuff, contacts, “to do†list and a lot more.

I like all my stuff in one place, that’s easy to acess and is very organized. It’s amazing what you can do with MySQL and PHP.

Examples:

My World Huskies page is database driven.

Most of my Work stuff is database driven.

There you have it, my geek side. cool.gif

Can you come over here and organise me please :D

It depends. I mean, to some people, that would screw everything up.laugh.gif

For what it's worth, I just hate clutter with a passion. And when it comes to "my stuff" on the computer, I simply like to have a very simple way of getting to it and easily keeping it all up to date, AND, backed up.tongue.gif