New owner, feeling a bit overwhelmed, looking for support!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please help!

We starved him for 24 hours on monday. Tuesday and today he had about 1/2 cup of boiled rice with 1/4 cup of boiled chicken twice a day. He STILL has terrible diarrhea. The poor guy eats like he's starved and is sooo skinny. I was supposed to start mixing ib kibble tomorrow, but even this is going right through him.

HELP! :(

My poor little guy had diarrhea in his crate twice last night. Since dinner he's been outside at least a half a dozen times, diarrhea each time. Needless to say we've been up since 1. I feel so bad for him. I'm not going into campus today to keep an eye on him. He had just rice this morning, and I'm going to go out today and buy the lamb flavored kibble the vet recommended. I'm hoping I can isolate the problem being chicken. The kibble we have now is chicken flavor, and he's been getting sick, the only thing he's been eating is rice and chicken.

:(

i dont know what to suggest to you hun....big hugs :)

the only thing i would say is to starve him for 24hrs but you have already done this :(

are you feeding him any treats? the only reason i ask is bcoz shiloh was very runny when he had treats..we now dont give him any at all....

have you tried giving him raw chicken wings with some natural yoghurt or a yakult? the last time shiloh had the runs (about 4 wks ago) he was really bad with it, the worse he had ever been, we was told to starve him for 24hr which we did then to give him raw chicken wings and either a yakult or natural yoghurt mixed with it for 7 days...we did this and slowly he cleared up...it took a few days but eventually he was solid again :)

we now dont give him kibble at all jst feed him raw chicken wings and from time to time put some natural yoghurt with it....

i dont know what else to suggest to you im afraid hun...hopefully somebody else may have some ideas??

x x

Well I gave him just rice this morning. So far, just one bout of diarrhea, fairly small. I'm hoping it was just leftovers from last night. It seems to be subsiding.

The problem at night, though, we don't know if he's crying to get out of the cage, or crying cause he has to go out.

:(

Try not to chop and change his food too much as this will make things worse, also, with him having the squits so much, try and make sure he has plenty to drink so he doesn't dehydrate

Really feel for you both right now, hope it clears up soon xxxx

Well, he's doing both better and worse.

I took him to the Vet last week. They put him on an antibiotic to help firm him up. This worked, and we just finished the last dose this morning, so I guess we will see what the next few days brings. His stools were more firm, but still not quite right. They have seemingly firmed up along the way, though, as we weened him onto just his kibble, and onto correct amounts 1 3/4 cup/day. I just hope this holds.

He has gotten worse with separation anxiety, and now urinating in his crate. Our fault, yesterday, he was in there too long, but I got caught up at school. No big deal. I guess we were just spoiled the has was holding it so long. Maybe the antibiotic has something to do with this.. I never really thought about that. Not a big deal, and its really our fault.

He still cries at night for about 5 minutes every time he goes into the cage. We have to get up at 2am to let him out to pee, then hes usually fairly good about going back into bed. As soon as we go through the bedroom door, out of his sight, he starts crying.

He starts puppy kindergarten next tuesday.

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. I'm getting about 3 hours of sleep per night, so I'm a wreck.

Is his poo checked yet on giardia and coccidiose?

and for the nights maybe try putting him in his cages beside your bed, slowly moveing it night for night to the place you want. If he keeps crying now afther 2 weeks an other tactic most come specialy when you only got 3 hours a day of sleep.

He was checked, and everything came up negative.

During the time he was on the antbiotic, we weened him onto the lamb and rice formula of California Natural. He's taken to that well. Now, about a week off the antibiotic, he eats a cup of kibble per serving, and is having well formed poops. They are still a bit mushy, but they stay formed. Yesterday he got into some birdseed, and that seems to have firmed him right up! Either that, or he has adjusted very well to the new food :D

He cries a few times through the night, but he has to pee. We take him out, and put him back in his crate. He seems ok, but he's still very attached to me. When I leave the room, all hell breaks loose.

I did have a shirt in his bed (crate), but during his diarrhea spell, he ruined it. I picked up some cheap shirts yesterday and they are waiting to be washed so I can wear them.

Other than that, he is settling in well. For the most part, he knows what he should and shouldn't be doing. He just chooses to ignore it to piss us off ;)

Puppy Kindergarten got moved back a week, so he starts next tuesday.

Now, if we could only get him to stop with the separation anxiety :)

For the most part, he knows what he should and shouldn't be doing. He just chooses to ignore it to piss us off ;)

:rofl: typical Husky there then! laugh.gif

Glad the stool's are starting to firm up :)

The separation anxiety will ease as he grows up :) oh let us know how you get on at puppy school :D

Hey JayT,

Our husky is nearly 10 months old and everything you have said on your thread we have pretty much experienced.

By all accounts try not to worry, everything that is happening seems to be almost normal for huskies!!

And as you can guess from the responses nearly everyone has experienced the same problems in some way, shape or form.

Our little fella cried the house down for two weeks - ear plugs help (for you) & try leaving a radio on in the room he is in or maybe the room beside.

This may help when you are out too. Otherwise T-shirts are good too and sometimes ticking clocks are good (he might be a bit old for the clock now though).

As for food, as tempted as you are to feed him more it's the worse thing you can do.

Huskies don't need as much food as other dogs so following instructions on the side of packets for age/weight etc or even from vets can be too much food.

Don't over feed or he will get the runs... fact.

There are lots of threads on here about diet...

and mushy poop...!!

Keep asking questions too & read other threads, you've come to the right place to finds answers I just wish I had known about this site when our fella was 10 weeks old.... it would have helped us so much biggrin.gif

One other thing... it will all come to an end soon & they are worth every second of the pain smile.gif

Good luck!!

We've had him 3 weeks now, and he still cries whenever we leave. Its alright, the neighbors don't mind, but its beginning to wear us thin as we can't get any sleep. We're just tryign to ignore it, and hope he stops soon.

Get a baby gate and put your dog in the hall with the pee pad

everyday give him less and less hallway.

He will then understand what the peepad is for.

After that stage take him out side three times a day. Pick times that are good for you

like before you go to work, when you come home from work and after dinner.

This will create a set time for him to know when he will pee/poop.

Do not let him push you around bc he will keep you up till 3am to go pee.

+ positive renforcement is key. Keep treats near by so you can reward him for going out side.

Do not give him treats for going on the peepad just call him goodboy and pet him

also make sure you reward him asap so he can make the connection.

And rent a rug doctor if you have rugs. He will not alway hit the pad dead center

The baby gate may not keep him from getting out. So buy two if needed.

I found tight ( my husky) to be a monster growing up.so don't think your doing anything wrong if he

makes you pull hair out.

Be pushy let him know now that you are boss or pack leader. If you give a husky a inch they take a mile.

He's doing alright with the house training. He lets us know when he has to go out. As for getting up at 3am to let him out, I don't see another option. He's 3 months old, he can't hold it for 8 hours. He only gets us up if he has to go. Last night, he slept through the night, up until 5:20, when he had to go out. I don't see this is a problem.

He knows to go outside, and give us some notice when he needs to go out. We still have the occasional accident, but hes 3 months old. I don't expect perfection just yet.

Jay, I went through everything you're going through, this is all very typical. But just to let you know, there will more than likely be a few steps backwards in the coming months.

Nanuck is 6 months old now, and his stools were fine up until about 3 weeks ago. He started getting the runs really, really bad, even though his diet didn't change. He sleeps with me in the bed at night since he's in the kennel most of the day while I'm at work, and this worked great until he was able to jump off the bed. Before, he would sleep peacefully all night from 11pm - 6am, and I'd take him out first thing. Even on the weekends, he'd wake me up at 6am to go outside, which I didn't mind.

Once he got big enough to jump off and onto the bed (which is about the same time he started having stool problems again), he jump off the bed in the middle of the night, poop, and get back onto the bed. I'd wake up in the morning to find quite a mess.

I put him on chicken and rice for a week straight (twice a day), and that fixed his stool problems. The following week, I started mixing kibble with the chicken and rice, and haven't had a problem since. I now make a large batch of chicken and rice on Sundays, which is enough to last a week, mixing it with kibble.

Plus, since he sleeps in the bed with me, he doesn't cry at all. He does cry for about 5 minutes after being put in the kennel, but is fine after that. Thankfully, my neighbors have never complained.

Good luck to ya!

He's been worlds better. Two nights in a row now, he's slept through the night. The stools were great ever since he went on the antibiotic. He eats 2 cups of kibble a day. Hes crying a lot less now. I hope this keeps up.

He's still having liquid accidents in the house, but its usually right after he gives a small sign he has to go out. He'll go to the door, and if we dont run there in time (~2.5 seconds ;) ) he starts peeing right there. At least he's making an effort.