New owner, feeling a bit overwhelmed, looking for support!

Yeah i was wondering what a pee towel was - is it like a puppy pad?

Welcome to the site - he is GORGEOUS!!! :wub:

The pee towel we read about in a book. Basically get a bit of urine on a paper towel, and when taking the dog out, let it sniff the towel, then put the towel on the ground. The first time we tried it, he peed almost instantly.

I gave him less food tonight at dinner, and he didn't vomit. Still waiting on the poop, though. I habe a donor t shirt on right now, we'll give that a shot tonight.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your husky is gorgeous!!!! Dakota was actually ok to train when we got her. She was 3months old and seemed to know she needed to pee on the pee pads.

We got her on a Sunday so the next day , when we went to work, we left her in the kitchen/family area (which is tiled) and baby fenced off the carpeted sitting/dining room so if she went to the toilet it'd be easy to clean. When we got home she had gotten over the fence during the day and pee'd on the couch.

Same happened the next day with poo and the following day she'd gone a few times on the carpet. So knowing Huskies love being around people we gave out to her, put her outside and closed the blinds so she couldn't see us.

The third day we left her outside when we went to work and let her back inside when we got home and she was fine. So we kept it up that if she went toilet inside the house she was put outside and cut off from us, only for a little while, and this has worked for us. She has only gone twice inside since and that's because we haven't let her out when we needed to so I can't blame her. Not sure if you can try this technique in a complex but hope it helps?

She did whine the first few nights, we kept her bed in our ensuite but we ignored it and it stopped, as far as we know she doesn't whine when we're at work.

You've a beautiful husky so the first few months of training will be well worth it ;)

Yeah like Julie, I was going to say feeding meals in the crate makes them associate it with good and helps them to keep quiet.

By the sounds of what you were feeding him that sounds too much for his age.. if you want to keep feeing him the same amount try spliting it into 3 meals instead of 2 as his stomach is so small, little and often is much better and should help with both the vomiting and the runny poo (the most common cause of runny poo is overfeeding) should help!

biggrin.gif Good luck!

Thank you!

He was pretty darn good last night. Around 9 we worked on putting him into the crate, closing the door, and waiting for him to calm down before letting him out. We did this once with us laying next to it, and he calmed down real fast. NExt I went up into the loft, and my fiancee went into the kitchen. He took about 5-10 minutes to calm down. Same performance the second time we did it while hiding.

I put a blanket over his cage, and a tshirt I wore last night into his cage for bed. He cried (much less intense than the previous night) for about 10 minutes, then we didn't hear another peep out of him until 6 this morning. This is good, cause we saw our neighbors below us come in from a trip, so they are home now. He needs to keep quiet, so we don't have any issues.

I fed him less for dinner last night, and he didnt vomit, however he had diarhiaa (I can never spell this one). Fed him about a 1/4 cup of kibble only this morning in his crate, and so far so good, no vomit. I have to leave in a half hour, but my fiancee will be here for another 2.5 hours, so shes going to work on his crate traiing a bit, and see if she can get him to poop.

It really seems that it gets slightly better every day. Now if he'd just stop peeing in the house! They are not full pees, but little spiddles.

My fiancee talked to the neighbors below us this morning, and they don't mind. We can move his cage into the loft if need be, that way it should be quieter for my neighbors below, and only my dog-owning nieghbors would potentially be bothered. That sure helps with the noise problem, now to get him to only pee outside. I think he's already starting to understand. This morning he went to the door for no apparant reason, so I put his leash on and took him out. He then peed to my glee!

Last night was a small step backward. I gave him a little less than half a cup of kibble for dinner, in his crate. He behaved reasonably well throughout the evening. I started working on teaching him to sit. We went for a mile walk, then about a half mile again later on.

He went in his crate after peeing and pooing around 10pm. He cried for about 10-15 minutes, then was quiet. He woke up at about 2 crying a bit. We ignored it, and he quieted down in about 10 minutes. 545 this morning he started crying. I figured he had to pee, and since we get up at 6 no big deal. We got up, took him outside, he had to pee real bad. No mess in the crate, though. We took him for his walk, and ended up running about half of the one mile loop.

(Off topic: too early to teach him to run with us? We'd love to be able to run again in the morning)

However, he had pretty bad diarrhea this morning. I don't know what to do. Did I still feed him too much last night? I gave him about 1/4 cup of kibble this morning in his crate. I'll see what suprises he's left for me when I go home at lunch.

Also, we really need help with discipline. He is one stubborn S.O.B. Tell him no, he does it repeatedly. I guess he's testing us? Moreso with my fiancee than with me. Is there some technique we can use to get him to listen to us? There are af ew incidents where I have tapped him on the nose, to get my point across. Never hurt him, but he stops. I just don't like doing this, I don't want him afraid of me. These incidents usually stem from him nipping (playfully) at me or my fiancee. I realize he's just a pup and wants to play, but under no circumstance, at this point, do I want him biting humans.

:(

pups will get runny from time 2 time if hes picked summin up on a walk and ate sumthing he shudnt ov then he will get loose (what are you feeding him?)

i wud w8 till hes a year old before u start running with him - his bones are still soft and developing and over exercise can cause problems later in life -

we tapped blaze on the nose as a pup when he nipped and he was fine with it he wasnt and never has bin hand shy or anything

oh the joys...reading your thread is seriously like going back in time a few weeks lol....we had all this with shiloh aswell :)

he was runny from day 1 of him being at home with us..he was runny on the puppy food the breeders gave us..he was still runny when we swapped the food brand over- even doing it gradually didnt help...the only thing i can say is that we were recommended by a few on here to swap him onto the raw diet and he has been fine ever since...its actually quite amazing how quickly his digestive system adjusted to it...he has been on raw now for around 5wks and not been runny in this time- oh sorry i tell a lie..he was loose 2 wk ago but he overdid the treats at a meet so it made him loose...he doesnt eat puppy treats as they dont agree with him- he prefers to have peanut butter in his kong instead smile.gif

as with the nipping..he also went through a stage of doing this, mainly with me than with ian lol.....someone suggested to close his mouth shut when he did it and tell him no...it did eventually work and he hardly ever nips now....he tries it on with chloe from time to time but she shouts at him and he moves away lol

hope this helps :)

Tami x

Well the Vet said he was doing great. There were two of them, one was pretty fresh out of Vet school, the other was a veteran, practicing for many years. They were both impressed at how well behaved he was. Sure, they didn't ahve to deal with him last night :P

Crying, biting everyhting in sight, it seems like he's going backwards.

He got a few more vaccinations, and we will get results back on a hair and stool sample. The older vet loved the food he was on. He's also gained .7 pounds in a week. We thought he might be losing weight from all the diarrhea and vomiting.

Now if he would just stop peeing in the house, and be quiet when in the crate.

We increased his food intake to 1/2 a cup/feeding twice a day. Terrible diarrhea.

I'm at my wits end. We starved him yesterday, and today gave him roughly 1/2cup of boiled rice, and 1/4 cup of boiled chicken. I'm hoping to do that tonight, tomorrow, then switch to 1/2 rice, 1/4 cup kibble on Thursday. Then slowly bring in more kibble.

Should this help? My poor doggie looks so skinny, though the scale showed he gained weight at the vet.

oh no :( i feel for you i really do....like i have said to you b4 i went though all this with Shiloh..he had the runs almost every day since he came home- i have now put it down to over feeding him...when he was on just dry food he would eat his food within a min i swear to you lol...so we thought he was gettin enough as would finish so fast...we put his food up and again he would eat it very fast and have the runs to top it off angry.gif

we have now swapped him onto raw food and he has been fine ever since biggrin.gif

as with him cryin in his crate we had to just ignore it- i know its easier said than done but if you keep going to him when he cries he will think you are going to do it everytime sad.gif we soon sussed out the difference between him cryin for the toliet and him just cryin to come out of the crate lol

the boiled rice and chicken should work fine hun :)

xx

The crying has gotten better. We confirmed with our neighbors they cannot hear him when he's crying at night, so I'm not worried about it. I can deal with it ok with ear plugs.

I'd really like to get him onto kibble, so I'm hoping this will work.

Hello and welcome, we had all the same problems with Fia. For the loose stool, it took all lot of ups and downs for her to get better and the only thing that got her stool good was changing the food..It might be to early for your situation but maybe consider it. The food we are giving her is grain free and potato free, its called Great Life.

Also maybe check if she has some parasite, Fia had Giardia when we got her.

Keep up the good work :) and good luck !!

The little stinker got up at 330. Took him outside to pee, came in and all he wanted to do was play. Put him back in his crate, and he cried continuously until 6 when I gave up. Its the time we usually get up anyway, so we just began our day as usual.

This sure isn't easy.

Signed,

WalkingZombie

P.s. Why don't I remember this from my last pup? Lol

Try a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and a ticking clock inside something soft. Sashka is eight weeks and we have her a week. she stays in the garage at night in a six foot home made crate and howls in the morning to get out to the toilet. Each night the howling got less and is now only a whine for a few minutes when left. But your'e right it's not easy!!!!!!unsure.gif