Cat scratches + bites

I am trying to get my cat Tinks to stop scratching. Sometimes when my friends come round and they are stroking her back (which she really hates) she will scratch them or bite them. She also does it to me and her claws can cut and be quite painful. But I don't want to be really rough with her when telling her off but I've decided she needs to stop because sometimes she scratches even when playing which puts people off wanting to play with her. How could I stop her scratching I know that I cant stop her scratching forever but because she does it frequently how can I get her to calm down a bit and not use her claws so much? I have some treats she likes which I could give when she is good but how do I tell her off because I have tried it and she does not seem to get the message.

hmmmmm.......that seems like an impossible feat. If she was scratching furniture you could use something like a spray bottle of water. But since she is reacting being pet in a particular way the easiest way would be to tell your friends not to stroke her back. Scratching during playing I would suggest playing with her with toys on a string so that your hands aren't near her claws.

Someone else might have had success in this some other way. But I have never managed to stop a cat from using their claws as it is their nature. So are just better than others at how they use then, gentler. It is the same as dogs mouthing each other or their humans when they are wrestling around.

Sorry could't be more help but I will be interested to hear others comments

hmmmmm.......that seems like an impossible feat. If she was scratching furniture you could use something like a spray bottle of water. But since she is reacting being pet in a particular way the easiest way would be to tell your friends not to stroke her back. Scratching during playing I would suggest playing with her with toys on a string so that your hands aren't near her claws.

Someone else might have had success in this some other way. But I have never managed to stop a cat from using their claws as it is their nature. So are just better than others at how they use then, gentler. It is the same as dogs mouthing each other or their humans when they are wrestling around.

Sorry could't be more help but I will be interested to hear others comments

We have had other cats that have been quite calm and have only meowed when they didnt like something. Tinks also scratches furniture and she used to scratch a corner of the wall until her scratching post was put there. Thanks for commenting anyway and she does have toys on strings and toys that dont require being close to her.

To be honnest cats are creatures that abide by their own rules. You cant really punish a cat because they are not dependant on you (well most any way) your average moggy will only stay with you while it is getting something it wants, A cat chooses its owner not the other way round.

I'd say just leave her to it. You could speak to your vet about having soft paws put on her. They are little soft bits of plastic that go over the claw to stop them from being able to scratch you. They fall off when the cat sheads its claws and they do not stop the cat from retracting its claws.

They are normally only used when the cat is damaging its self through scratching but it is something you could ask them about.

You could also get some feliway, which is a smell cats like that makes them calm.

TBH if she doesnt like having her back stroked, you really should be telling friends/visitors that she doesnt like it and ask them not to do it...

Has she always hated this? Or is it only recently? If its only recently then has she been vets for a check up to see if her back might be sore??

TBH if she doesnt like having her back stroked, you really should be telling friends/visitors that she doesnt like it and ask them not to do it...

Has she always hated this? Or is it only recently? If its only recently then has she been vets for a check up to see if her back might be sore??

good point sid added to rep

If it's a recent thing then maybe she needs a check up?

My cat bella does this sometimes, she wraps her front legs round my arm and chews me - never breaks the skin thou - i swear she thinks she's a dog laugh.gif

It's been 4ever that she hasnt liked her back being stroked. People do get told but when you havent had the chance to tell them scratches happen. I dont think I would get her to wear the little things over her claws it would b difficult but I will look into the smell thing. Where can I get it?

To be honnest cats are creatures that abide by their own rules. You cant really punish a cat because they are not dependant on you (well most any way) your average moggy will only stay with you while it is getting something it wants, A cat chooses its owner not the other way round.

I'd say just leave her to it. You could speak to your vet about having soft paws put on her. They are little soft bits of plastic that go over the claw to stop them from being able to scratch you. They fall off when the cat sheads its claws and they do not stop the cat from retracting its claws.

They are normally only used when the cat is damaging its self through scratching but it is something you could ask them about.

You could also get some feliway, which is a smell cats like that makes them calm.

Thanks for the info about Feliway I might get that for her soon but I think it's only available at vets so it might be expensive. But I will look for it as it might help out a bit. Gave u rep smile.gif