Stop pulling on the leash

We have had the problem of pulling since our little girl got familiar with the neighbourhood.

From the beginning we NEVER allowed her to pull. We always stopped and when the leash was again loose we started again walking.

We have been doing this for the first month, but the problem isn't really solved.

So, now we are a bit changing tactic. We don't stop, we change direction. We also got a clicker, so every time she follows us we click and give a treat.

We also practice home. At home she really fallows me everywhere (also in the bathrooms - which are narrow and dark... not a funny place for her :P).

Basically we are doing how this guy says in this video:

In general I really like his videos, he seems he really cares of dogs and give good explanations why to do a certain thing instead of an other.

I have watched TONES of video about the pulling, really. And basically everyone says not to walk when she walks and prize her when she walks with us.

Ok, we always followed those rules.

Now I am just wondering... how long does it take for the dog to learn that?

It's more than one month, but she doesn't seem to have really understood how all the process works (if she pulls she cannot walk, if she walks with us she can and basically she can go and sniff everywhere).

Someone even said Huskies cannot learn not to pull because they love to run and to pull (and this is why they are the most used breed in the sled dog sport). Honestly I don't really believe that. What is your opinion? Can it be that she is too young?

How long did it take for your dogs to learn not to pull and walking with you is fun anyway? How old they were?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blaze has always been a puller - its my fault for not teaching him as a pup - i now walk him on a short lead which helps but it hasnt curberd the problem - skyla doesnt pull but she does walk in front but i try and keep her on a short lead too - they are really clever and usually learn quite quickly with most things - as u know tho they are a pulling/running dog and it might take abit longer to train ur pup this - howwever just keep up with what ur doing - which is the right thing 2 do and u shud see a difference soon - good luck :) - sorry this loooong reply wasnt much help

Kira's brilliant on the lead now, only pulls if she see's another dog, or some small furry lol but its about time lol

We used a halti when 1st teaching her (I started getting annoyed and started training about 2 months ago, never use a halti on a pup), just so that she was easier to handle, worked for a little while, but she soon started to pull through it rolleyes.gif

I also used the clicker, but found that it wasnt brilliant, as outside was more interesting than a treat rolleyes.gif lol so soon gave up on that. But we done the turning around technique and treating when she got to us, it did work, but not all the time, guess she had to be in the mood lol

I got her a new collar, its a semi slip, doesnt choke at all, but its 2" wide, wider than a normal collar, and she seems to do well on this, i done know if its the extra width, but her pulling got better when i started using that, still wasnt solved tho

The major turning point for us was finding the dog park, we're 4 miles away from it, and dont drive, so we have to walk it, so its 8 miles on lead, and then about an hour running off lead. We go there 3 times a week and she's knackered afterwards, the other 4 days she gets onlead walks (about 30 mins to an hour).

She's great on the lead now, no pulling, sometimes even walks behind me! Im sure its because she's well exercised, because if she doesnt get her dog park walk she does start pulling a bit again.

Alot of people dont like this method but to be honest it has always worked for me. With chewy and achilles if they pull for even a few seconds it could put

my life, my children's and theirs in danger. If after all the work you are doing you find that your pup still continues to pull here are 3 things you can do.

(1) never let your dog walk on the grass where they will be prone to stopping, jerking, and pulling to follow a scent.

(2) never give more leash than your puppy will walk calmly on, if the leash has alot of slack and the dog is pulling,

take back how ever much of the leash it takes for them to calm down and walk calmly. to a husky too much leash

is an invitation to pull and yank.

(3) if you find that changing direction isnt working as well as you hoped, sometimes it doesnt, then stop and have

the puppy or dog sit down or lay down until they are calm, then give them a command to get up and follow you and

continue your walk.

I personally stick to the rule of not giving them any more leash than they can walk peacefully on. :)

hope this helps.

My dog is hardly ever on lead but when she is she pulls me gf all over i find it funny me gf gets highly annoyed..

But sakari pulls me gf as much as she pulls me but im just stronger than my gf is my point of view its a husky they pull its what they do lol

but like i said me gf has troubles on lead with her i have none..

Does you're dog favour one for walking them than the other..!!

My husband has offered to help walk Chewy and Achilles when he gets back. We have decided we want to do family walks.

I will not be shocked if he looses his footing once or twice, hahahahaha. He has never walked either dog so it should be interesting, lol.

I think Ill be rotten and let him try without the walking belt first, lol. Im such a devil arent I?

All of my dogs learned differently. Here are some things we tried:

1. Requiring a sit once the leash becomes tight. Pretty soon they do get irritated of sitting every 5 seconds. This worked really quickly, i've found the best way to train my Sibes is to irritate them. (ie having to sit when they'd rather be MOVING!) lol It clicked fast.

2. Using the heel as a "punishment" This works for Mishka. When she gets wild and wants to pull i bring her to my side and once she's calmly walking next to/behind me i release her and she walks like a civilized dog. Well. As civilized as a husky can be rolleyes.gif

Also, since i have multiples (hah understatement of the year laugh.gif) i let them pick which order they want to walk in (from left to right) and once they've figured it out they have to stay like that. It's less irritating than having 4 sibes darting from left to right on a 4 foot wide sidewalk. Also, once they "get it" that this is where they're walking they tend to calm down and just walk. As Sid said as well, they're much easier to walk if they're being exercised a lot.

Of course this all goes out the window if something small and furry is making noise in a tree up ahead, or if a baggie decides to fly across the street... biggrin.gif

My husky walks very nicely on the leash, he has good leash manners. Any dog of any age can be taught to walk on a loose leash.

How long have you been doing the change of direction/clicker method? When you change direction are you turning sharply on your heel in 180 degrees?

It does take time and consistency for them to learn but if you have the method right it shouldn't take months and months.

ok question - my two boys are inseperable - i cannot walk one without the other as the other stays at home and has SUCH a tantrum

Is it possible to train BOTH to stop pulling whilst on a walk? eg if i walk them both on collars and short leads one at either side of me can i chop and change direction when they pull?

sarah i walk all 3 on my own sumtimes and as u no bings just lags behind so i keep skyla and blaze on a short lead and make them walk nicely - i dont do the changing directions thing tho - as when im wlkin inbetween jobs i dont have time - dont think its impossible tho - try it find out lol

i walk my two together always and my man NEVER walks them but then they listen mere to me anyway and my morning walk i have the twin buggy tooohmy.gif on there own they are both alot better but misha doesnt like it if demon goes out without her so i prefer to take them together i have tried and tried all the above methods and the only way they wont pull is taking them out on there own but its not easy to fit in individual walks cos i take them out for hours id need to spend the whole day walking (be good for the weight loss MINE lol) but the kids might complain lol

snap kirsteen lol

Well, walked my two tonight on half check collars and short leads, took about 5 / 10 mins for them to realise what i wanted - well ok i lie - it took KIMBA that long, kaiser is a fuit loop (can tell he's marc's dog lol) Kimba walked lovely (so proud of my boy :D ), Kaiser pulled although not as much as he normally does. THey sat at the kerbs and waited lovely - totally gobsmacked, however, they went on a 2 hr walk this afternoon so they were tired, will see how i get on tomorrow with them when they've rested blink.gif

i walk koda and echo together, i tie the leads together and we all walk nicely (unless echo see's another dog) and we have long walks and business time with treats,

you cant walk them on their own cos the one at home will go pyscho, howling and jumping and its too much hassle.

When I first tried to teach Polar to walk on a loose leash I also had a lot of resistance. I think I also posted for help after a month of training and wasn't getting the result I was after, but I just kept at it, and now at four months of training, Polar is walking nicely on lead (I don't remember exactly when the transition took place... probably very gradually), she even knows the "heel" command now and will walk right next to me when the command is given, even under some distractions (other dogs, people, etc). But cats are a different story, she ignores all commands if she sees a cat. rolleyes.gif

One technique that I've used and thought to be quite effective is to nudge Polar's hip with my leg when she tries to trot pass me. Not a kick, but just a light nudge like you're trying to wiggle your way in front of somebody at the ticket booth, enough to disrupt the gait of her back legs, so she trips a little and slow down. If there are bushes on the side, I also push her into the bushes when she tries to overtake me. After a while I think she got the idea. laugh.gif

I'm trying to get Odin to walk but it's imposs lol he as started to walk better with just me, but if we take all 3 out he as to pull, he as to be up front, he hates any of the other 2 to be in front of him so he pulls untill he as the lead again but he keeps pulling to make sure he stays there xxxx

• 4 weeks later...

Tigh will pull me so I just kinda let him do his own thing. The dog was built to run not walk so we got a pawtrekker scooter for the guy. He loves it.

I love it, we all win. I don't think it's all him too. My walking speed and his walking speed are way different.

(The pulling isn't so bad after he pees or poops.)