Heard of this breed?

siberian_wolf

The Alaskan Klee Klai is not a properly recognised breed - I have heard from Sibe breeders in the US that their temperament is not the best, and they have yet to breed with any predictability.

I personally hate the term mini husky. I don't buy into the designer dog craze at all.

I don't like the 'designer dog' either, personally hate it! the term mini husy was just a way of trying to describe it, not meant in any offence.

Oh I'm sorry! I didn't mean you. I just meant how the term is often used to describe AKK. They are also breeding "miniature huskies" (not AKKs) in the US which makes me fume. A lot of the time, they are crossbreeds they pretend are smaller sized huskies or poorly bred Sibes that are way under the breed standard, at the risk of health :mad:

I cannot stand designer dogs (more specifically the people who breed them!). I won't bore you all with my huge list of reasons why, :o LOL

ETA: I have a small fluffy crossbreed at home, but that's all she is - a muttley, not some silly oodlebagoodledoodle dressed up as something she isn't.

Oh I'm sorry! I didn't mean you. I just meant how the term is often used to describe AKK. They are also breeding "miniature huskies" (not AKKs) in the US which makes me fume. A lot of the time, they are crossbreeds they pretend are smaller sized huskies or poorly bred Sibes that are way under the breed standard, at the risk of health :mad:

I cannot stand designer dogs (more specifically the people who breed them!). I won't bore you all with my huge list of reasons why, :o LOL

That's ok, no offence taken. We are all open to everyone views here.

Your list why is probably the same as mine

That's ok, no offence taken. We are all open to everyone views here.

Your list why is probably the same as mine

I'm sure it is!

I think we're lucky as husky owners, in some ways, that our breed isn't a popular designer mix yet. My other breed (beagles) are often used in trendy crosses and it breaks my heart, especially when puppy buyers are told that because it's a beagle cross, it won't want to scent or have the activity level of a purebred beagle. Sadly this is not always the case a lot end up in shelters because they were too active or hyper.

There is a puppy farmer here in Oz who has an online shop, where he sells dozens of designer mixes and 1000s of puppies each year. All you need to do is log on, place and order and he sends you a puppy!!! :eek:

OMG!!!! :o thats horrifying! People like that don't deserve to have business or animals! All they think about is money and thats all, they think nothing of the consequences (i.e. health problems, genetic problems, etc, etc)! Has he been reported?

My mums dogs is another victim of these situations, hes a JRT cross collie two other breeds which are mixed alot.

It's discusting. What ever happened to 'theres a breed of dog to suit everyone'? Some people are too fussy and too proud of their image nowadays

OMG!!!! :o thats horrifying! People like that don't deserve to have business or animals! All they think about is money and thats all, they think nothing of the consequences (i.e. health problems, genetic problems, etc, etc)! Has he been reported?

My mums dogs is another victim of these situations, hes a JRT cross collie two other breeds which are mixed alot.

It's discusting. What ever happened to 'theres a breed of dog to suit everyone'? Some people are too fussy and too proud of their image nowadays

I have no issue with crossbreeds themselves, some are beautiful dogs. But I do have a problem with breeding them and I have a big problem with people pretending they are purebreds :mad: If I wanted a cross I'd go to the pound and get one :D I guess it's like any thing that becomes 'trendy' though - Sibes are victims of impulse purchasers in a big way, especially after movies like 8 Below and Snow Dogs!

Yes he's been reported but the sad fact is puppy farms are a legitimate business world wide :( They can be inspected but as long as they have supplied dogs with food, water and shelter that's all the need to do. You can see his website here, look at how many different "breeds" are available, isn't it disgusting!

http://www.freedomkennels.com.au/breedlist.html

thats disgusting my boy bingo is a staffie whippet cross but he ent got sum stupid name (not including bingo lol) like a staffit or a whippie or woteva hes just a cross breed and my baby we rescued him at the age ov 3 he was a stray and we think he was badly treated before that as he was scared of rain and the dark he is scared of loud noises toy guns loads ov things but i cnt belive people who just breed for money and dont care for the wellfair ov thes poor animals :(

Yes isn't it just horrible, you can't believe they can get away with it but sadly that is not the only website - there are lots of similar sites in the US (not sure about the UK) and more here in Oz. You also can't believe how many people think he is ethical or reputable when he sells so many dogs!!

I'm sure it is!

I think we're lucky as husky owners, in some ways, that our breed isn't a popular designer mix yet.

We're not so lucky here in the UK, over the past 20 years or so, we have seen increasing breeding of a variety of dodgy crossbreeds given trendy names - Wolf dogs, Northern Inuits, Utonagans, Tamascans, Huskamutes, British Inuits etc etc etc. All they have in common is a terrible health record and the fact that somewhere down the line poor quality huskies have been used in their creation.

Back to Alaskan Klee Kai - I've seen a few here in the UK and they have all been nasty, snappy, bad-tempered little mutts, which don't look that much like "mini-huskies" - horrible little things!!!

Mick

We're not so lucky here in the UK, over the past 20 years or so, we have seen increasing breeding of a variety of dodgy crossbreeds given trendy names - Wolf dogs, Northern Inuits, Utonagans, Tamascans, Huskamutes, British Inuits etc etc etc. All they have in common is a terrible health record and the fact that somewhere down the line poor quality huskies have been used in their creation.

Back to Alaskan Klee Kai - I've seen a few here in the UK and they have all been nasty, snappy, bad-tempered little mutts, which don't look that much like "mini-huskies" - horrible little things!!!

Mick

Oh that's terrible!! Sibes are popular in Oz but that's only fairly recent - it has only been in the 90s that Sibes even got more popular in the show scene and as pets, so we haven't seen any of these dodgy cross breeds (although you get the usual BYB crap). I have heard of some that exist in the US though. What you have said re; the AKK is exactly what I have heard from US Sibe breeders.

Breeding crossbreeds is like playing Russian roulette, you just don't know what you will end up with. As I'm sure you know, the actual process of creating a new breed and getting genuine breed recognition is a long and very arduous process. This is why so many of these "breeds" will never be properly recognised - it is difficult work to cement type and breed true.

i no 2 ppl who have half husky/half malamutes and they are fine but they might be a rare exception i think akk just look like chihauhaus in husky colours and i hate chihauhaus

Oh no, there are many lovely crossbreed dogs out there!! But for me the biggest point is that I chose purebreds because I like to know what I am getting in terms of size, temperament, character, exercise needs etc and because purebreds have been bred to a specific breed standard for a long time, these traits are predictable and make it easier to find a dog that matches your lifestyle. Whereas with crossbreeding, it is impossible to predict which traits your pup will grow up with as it could be a combination of either parents' breeds :)

I think we have a member here that owns 2 of them, I know they originated in Alaska,I am in the middle of doing some research on them, though i don't want to comment any further cause I don't know enough about the" breed" at this time, they look cool though

If you are looking at something smaller than a husky and even a bit more easily trained, I can highly recommend checking out Finish Lapphunds - beauitful spitz breed used for herding so they can be a bit more bidabble than Sibes. My next dog will be a lappy without a doubt!

have never heard of the breed before ..well not untill recently when one of our new forum members gat.. e/mailed me on facebook before joining us... though personally i don't know much about the breed but i gotta admit i think they are very cute dogs..

i myself do not agree with the so called " designer dogs " of which many celebs tend to go for and i dont beleive that all people see it that way with these breeds .. in my local pub there is a couple who have what they called " jackawowa" or so something like that. i think no matter what you have some one will cross breed .. some times making lovely animals and some times just plain silly animals...

thats my personall opinion..

have never heard of the breed before ..well not untill recently when one of our new forum members gat.. e/mailed me on facebook before joining us... though personally i don't know much about the breed but i gotta admit i think they are very cute dogs..

Some of them are cute for sure! But still not a recognised breed nor one that is breeding true to a proper breed standard, which means it is hard to predict what type you will get if you buy one (just like any of the designer crosses).