Two Huskies A Good Idea?

Danni

First off Hello! We have only just registered and would like to give our Thanks for such a great site!

I'm Chris and my wife is Danni. We have had Tara for about a year. She joined our family when she was 6 months old where we took her off the hands of a family who couldn't handle her! (They didn't have much of a kitchen left and every skirting board was chewed). But since we've had her she has been fantastic from day one!

My question i ask is whether another Husky would be a good idea? Would there be much conflict if we introduced a puppy into the fold or would our Husky enjoy having another dog around? We know she's fantastic around other dogs but we aren't sure if two Huskies is a real pain in the a**e or good for them?

Any advice would be most welcome no matter how trivial! Especially from those who have a pair!?

Tala was just turned 3 when we got Kai , Kai was 8 weeks old when we introduced them and immediately took to each other . I was worried because I had spoilt tala so much and thought she would be jealous of a puppy . I was totally wrong . They play all the time together amongst other things hence is why tala is having puppies !! I can never imagine ever owning just one husky , my 2 adore one another

Having 2 huskies in my opinion is a lot better than having one. They keep each other company, tire each other out, play with each other rather than you, and give each other the companionship that a husky craves. Its not simply a good idea, its actually easier as supprising as that sounds. We just got another who is only 8 week old and already we are starting to see the difference in the house.

IMO the best time to get another dog is when you want and feel ready for one. Is your current dog where you want her to be in general manners/training etc?

The other thing to consider is that it is going to be double in the work! Two dogs to walk, feed, pat, play with and care for. Two lots of vet bills, food bills and two lots of shedding!

Huskies are a breed that, in my experience, can thrive as an only dog if that is your preference. Personally, I would always have at least two dogs (I currently have three!) because I could never stop at one.

Huskies are very social dogs and always like to be part of a pack. As mention by marc, I also think that having more than one Husky is better as they keep each other company when your away, they can learn from each other, can run after each other around the house and garden (tire each other out), etc.

Although there are many advantages of getting another, you also have to take into consideration things like:

Insurance (if you do insure them), Dog food, Vet bills, Training. Do you have enough space for another husky? Another thing which I was told by Gizmo's breeder was if you introduce a puppy to your Husky this may cause your husky to start messing in the house again. It never happened with Gizmo when I bought Marley and Bandit home though, it may happen but I don't think its a very common thing which happens.

Having 3, I would say get another one but, as smeagle says, don't get one if you don't feel ready for another one.

Huskies are very social dogs and always like to be part of a pack. As mention by marc, I also think that having more than one Husky is better as they keep each other company when your away, they can learn from each other, can run after each other around the house and garden (tire each other out), etc.

Yep very true... They can also learn bad habits from each other so that is something else to keep in mind!

We only had 1 for 2 years and yes she was very happy but since we got 2 a couple of years ago now there was a big change for the good like everyone above as said just make sure you can afford it, found 1 sibe easy to look after found 2 even easier :)

Yep very true... They can also learn bad habits from each other so that is something else to keep in mind!

Totally agree, Gizmo never chewed a thing, apart from his own toys, when it was just him but when we got Marley and Bandit that was when the chewing started (all 3 of them). They are not too bad now but I still find a little chewed area around the house if I don't keep my eye on them.

hi Danni... got my puppy and all she had was a tiny Shetland sheepdog for fun... then got my 4 yr old from friends who really didn't know what they were doin.. and it has done wonders for the both of them they play and fight all day.. and its great to see.. i personally am glad i have 2 and think that they bring the best out of each other

Oh yes. We got Smithy as an 8 wk old pup when he grew up, about 15 months old, he started to hump, everything and anyone, hump,hump,hump, (and with it the nipping) poor lad next door stood no chance! So we got him done and hump,hump,hump. Then Noushka came along and overnight one changed dog. Alot more relaxed, no chewing, no nipping and no humping...