Canicross Equipment & Training

Training Your Dog for Canix

No matter how fit they may look, you cannot assume that pet dogs are up to long distances.

As well as the risks from heat and accidental over-exertion, there is a third danger: that of deliberately imposing demands on dogs that can kill them or permanently damage their health.

I advise you to build your dogs distance up over several weeks/months. During training runs and hot weather (over 16°c) some breeds (ie those with short muzzles) may have difficulty cooling themselves. If your dog is overweight, unfit, not used to exercise, recovering from illness, of advancing years, or you have any doubt about your dogs ability, please consult your vet.

Start by jogging for a few minutes while out walking, and increase the minutes as the weeks go on.

Familiarise yourself with your dog’s normal behaviour while running. If at any time sh/e shows any signs they are struggling (excessive foaming at the mouth, shaking the head or pulling to the side), immediately find a shaded place to stop (preferably with a cool breeze) and give them some water. Keep an eye on your dogs tongue length, the longer the tongue the harder it is for the dog to cool down. I monitor my dogs tongue length when we are doing mushing activities.

Important....watch your dogs behaviour for 1/2hr after your run – this is the most critical time when sh/e is likely to overheat.

More importantly have fun with your dog, most dogs love to run and will enjoy the activity of canix/canicross.

Tails 'n' Trails have a few members that are training for canix, so feel free to ask them any questions.

Canicross Belt

A canicross belt wraps around your waist which allows you to run 'hands free' of the leash, while an elasticated 'bunjee' shock absorbers help take some of the stress of some of those chase the squirrel -rabbit - cat - moments.

There's a few different types of Canicross belts on the market, ones without legs loops and ones with. The choice is up to you on which you prefer. Trevor prefers the one without the leg loops as he feels less restricted, but these have a tendancy to slide up your waist while you are running.

Some people prefer the leg loops as they provide more control by lowering the center of pull from the small of your back to your butt. They are also meant to be good for increasing your balance and saving stress on your lower back muscles which were actually working to counteract the pulling forces of the dog/s.

Canicross belts are also used for bikejoring, some people forego a bike attachment device all together and opt instead to attach the line directly to themselves to the canicross belt. People that do this report that they feel more secure having the dog tied directly to them. This method allows them to control their dog with their body weight rather than the dog controlling the bike or scooter with his.

Here is a few images of the most popular types of belts.

Canadogs Canicross Belt

23o7kw.jpg

Nordkyn Mushers Belt

oo7tj.jpg

Canix Belt with Leg Loops

waist_belt.jpg

Bungee Line

A bungee line takes the stress off your back and your dogs. One end is a fidded loop for attaching leader sections while the other has a quick release that attaches to the belts tethers and D’rings. Lines are usually made of a multi-strand polyethylene rope, and contain a bungee section. Internal bungee is best, and for some clubs and organizations, it's compulsory. The bungee reduces the shock and stress to both the canine and the human, reducing risk of injury to both. Lines run between 7 and 12 feet and can be set up to accommodate 1-2 dogs depending on the need. Generally canicross participants run shorter lines as quick stopping ability is not a consideration. Shorter lines are also easier to control. Longer lines are used for bikejoring, scootering and skijoring as extra distance from the dog(s) is needed for stopping. However, personal preference and ability really dictate what the individual will use.

Photo of a Bungee Line

11uewwm.jpg

The quick release snap shown below that attaches to the D rings, is used in case of an emergency and releases you from the dog/s.

2u5tg9f.jpg

Dog Harness

Several types of harness are used by dog-powered sports enthusiasts and the preferred harness largely depends on where you are from, what discipline you will be doing, how you and or your dog are built and the set-up you choose to use.

The X-back harness is the most common type of harness seen. Its design allows the pulling to come from the chest but then disperses the stress across the entire body. The X-back harness is the item of choice for most North Americans, a lot of Europeans, and many would argue, is the best all-around option.

For canicross it is recommended that a harness is used where the lead is attached above the dogs shoulders. These are known as short back, shoulder or distance harness, they allow greater control of the dog while running.

Some runners prefer the long distance harness to an x-back. The x-back is meant to cause stress on the dogs intercostal muscles in the stomach becasue of the higher attachment point on the mushers belt compared to a sled.

This type of harness may be a good choice if you are attaching your bikejoring or scooter line to yourself or if you're of above average height or running a small dog.

Photo of a distance harness

28rmag6.jpg

Copyright Rita at Tails 'n' Trails

i've been looking into this as Shiloh loves to run lol.......jst tryin to find a good price for the hands free belt and leash at the mo

Tami x x

My husband does canicross with our 2 Irish Setters

He's getting fitter and fitter every week and the dogs love it

He's invested in proper running gear for himself now

Can I suggest going for a 4" canicross belt if your running more than 2 dogs

The extra back support does make a difference

Thnks for the advice Ole biggrin.gif

I put a feed on here not long ago for any info on Canicross and this is just what is was after. As Tamz said I am also urrently looking for the best priced equipment at the mo so not long till I can get started!

Do you have any advice on what suppliers are the best to go for? This is the best one i have found so far but I am still tryong to decide on leg straps/no leg straps? http://www.snowpawstore.com/canicross.html This gives you the whole kit for £57 which seems quite good.

Can't wait to get going running.gif

Thnks for the advice Ole biggrin.gif

I put a feed on here not long ago for any info on Canicross and this is just what is was after. As Tamz said I am also urrently looking for the best priced equipment at the mo so not long till I can get started!

Do you have any advice on what suppliers are the best to go for? This is the best one i have found so far but I am still tryong to decide on leg straps/no leg straps? http://www.snowpawst.../canicross.html This gives you the whole kit for £57 which seems quite good.

Can't wait to get going running.gif

I saw your thread and instead of hijacking it I started another :)

I sell the same package in Ireland for around €65

I don't know if I can post the link or not? but it's the same gear as the snowpawstore

Get a shoulder harness and not an xback

Xbacks are designed for lower points of attachments such as sleds and rig

The shoulder harness will stop any pressure been put on your dogs stomach

Canicross is fun and it gets you fit!

I'm still not able for running too long yet lol

Get a shoulder harness and not an xback

Xbacks are designed for lower points of attachments such as sleds and rig

The shoulder harness will stop any pressure been put on your dogs stomach

I'm glad you said that. I had noticed that the chest/shoulder fit of my dog's EzyDog harness seemed well-suited for the angle of the lead attached to my waistbelt and thought that the x-backs used in sledding seemed designed for a lower attach point. Thanks for confirming!

Thanks Sarah

It has taken me 2 years to grow all the products

I've a new website getting designed at the minute, it should be ready in June.

Would you post INT at the buyers expense?? smile.gif

Shipping to the UK is €10 regardless of the weight

I do post to other countries on request,

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you said that. I had noticed that the chest/shoulder fit of my dog's EzyDog harness seemed well-suited for the angle of the lead attached to my waistbelt and thought that the x-backs used in sledding seemed designed for a lower attach point. Thanks for confirming!

Hi There

Would you recommend using an EZYDOG harness for scootering or would i be better getting a shoulder harness. Not sure if the chestplate on the EZyDOG would put too much pressure on the dogs chest!!

Cheers

Adajm

Hi There

Would you recommend using an EZYDOG harness for scootering or would i be better getting a shoulder harness. Not sure if the chestplate on the EZyDOG would put too much pressure on the dogs chest!!

Cheers

Adajm

My own opinion, I'd go for a harness designed for pulling, such as an X back, or the Manmat long distance ones discussed on here. I think the Ezydog ones are designed for walking dogs that pull aren't they?

One more question rolleyes.gif

I am thinking of transfering my Walkydog from my MTB and attaching it to the headtube of the scooter pointing straight forward, that way i wouldn't require a bungee section and just connect the tug line directly to the Walkydog. This would also keep the tug line away from the front wheel of the scooter.

Do you think this would be a practical idea or am i just better off sticking with a tug line - bungee setup ????

Cheers Adjam

I am thinking of transfering my Walkydog from my MTB and attaching it to the headtube of the scooter pointing straight forward, that way i wouldn't require a bungee section and just connect the tug line directly to the Walkydog. This would also keep the tug line away from the front wheel of the scooter.

Do you think this would be a practical idea or am i just better off sticking with a tug line - bungee setup ????

Cheers Adjam

you'd still need some sort of shock absorber on though :)

you'd still need some sort of shock absorber on though smile.gif

The walkydog has in-built shock absorbtion (it has three springs inside the tube) so i thought that would be ok for absorbing shocks.

my only concern is that the mounting point may be little too high for using an xback harness.

the scooter should be arriving this week so i will attach the Walkydog and send some picks to see if you think the mounting point height would better suit a xback or a shoulder harness

cheers

Adam

Cheers Adjam

A Walkydog wouldn't be strong enough for scootering

My Irish Setter pulled the springs out if it while using it with a bike.

You can get antennas especially designed for scootering and bikejoring.

But with using and antenna or any other attachment that is high you will need to use a shoulder harness.

X-Backs are not suited for scooters that have high points of attachment

I'd stick to a normal gangline as it has a built in bungee.

This is the scooter with its current setup

gallery_1679_475_39757.jpg

I am thinking of asking my dad to make up a front fender assembly like those on the pawtrekker scooters.

He's is a dab hand around the garage and if he can make one would mean i can lower the tether point to a better height for an x-back harness

adjam