My Past Ratties

1. Splinter 1999-2003 My first Rat. She was almost 5 when she died smile.gif I do have a better picture somewhere, I'll upload it when I find it.

2. Angel 2004 - 2006 My room mate at Uni.

3. Tooey 2007 - 2008 (dates I had her) she was a rescue rat who was about a year old when she came to me.

4. Gypsy 14.06.2007 - 15.02.10 Snuffles' Sister.

5. Snuffles 14.06.2007 - 16.03.10 Gypsy's sister.

Splinter.jpg.bmp

post-535-13585948933158_thumb.jpg

post-535-13585948934192_thumb.jpg

post-535-13585948939738_thumb.jpg

post-535-13585948949809_thumb.jpg

My friend is very persuasive.

She rang me again today to see if I could re-home an older Rat that they have had in at the pet centre where she works. He was not bred by her like my boy has been (they are bred as a hobby and then some go to friends and others to the shop, but she handles them all from a couple of days old, they are fab!). I said I would rather not as I am having one of her babies, so she said that her other friend had offered to have the older Rat instead of the boys she was having from this litter, which means that the pet shop will have 3 boys to sell. As most people home rats in pairs, this would mean that they ended up with just one boy left. So...............

I AM HAVING 2 OF HER BABIES NOW!!!! They are full brothers and just the cutest little things!! She sent me pics of the 3 remaining boys and let me pick which one I wanted, and she is very good at getting face shots of them. I should be picking them up from her on the 8th April. These are the pics I have so far......I'll update when they come home!!

Hubert is the boy I was having anyway, and Alfonse (Alfie) is the boy I picked today smile.gif

post-535-13585948970433_thumb.jpg

post-535-13585948971009_thumb.jpg

love rats, my son had 2 when he was young

bung rat and blat rat (brown and black rat)

then we had the best rat ever, mr splodge (yes my kids name our pets), he was a cuddler he used to lay on his back on your lap, and if you stopped stroking him he would gently bite (very gently) till you stroked him

people don't like rats, but they are lovely.

Can they live OK by themselves or is it better to get them in a pair... or is that just a pet preference most people have?

I do like rats its just the cleaning out you have to do gets abit much... I had loads of different little furries as a kid coz I was never aloud the cat or dog that I wanted so had a loooong succession of rabbits, guineys, hamsters and gerbils... my last rabbit died last august and I thought thats enough of sawdust for a while I'll try poobags now lol!!

But when i check the RSPCA pages and see the numbers of unwanted small furries I do think about how many I could fit in my house! LOL

We're going to breed mice at Uni for a breeding projects so if anyone wants any mice babies... I think their going to be Zebra mice coz we thought those would be interesting... so depending on the success of the breeding there might be some to home if anyone likes them? biggrin.gif

i had two rats an albino and a brown and white i called them silas and delucion, i then bought two russian dwarf hamsters called wallace and gromit, they were all so friendly and soooooo cute, anyway they are all DEAD.............

my father and i were acting as a halfway home for a miniature jack russell called scruffy, she had been in kennels for a long time and we took her in to rehabilitate her get her used to dogs and people. anyhow she took a liking to sneaking in my room, first she killed the russian dwarf hamsters, they had tried to run when she pulled their cage over but werent quick enough, i found the little blood stained bodys in my futon bed........ i brought the bodies down and she ran away and hid.

i started making a point of closing my bedroom door firmly but to my unknown knowledge echo is a master door unlocker and allowed scruffy into my room two more times, i went int my room to find a bloodbath, delucion had fought back as scruffy had attacked her in the cage, there was blood everywhere on my walls, duvet, pictures, i found delucion again in my duvet, silas had hidden but had been bit quite badly on his back, he lived and got better before scruffy got in once more and finished him off.........

scruffy was eventually rehomed and the family love her to pieces which is good, i did tell them about the rats and hamsters, then we got koda and i now have gerbils, they get on fine and i bring them down loads so that koda knows they are not food. Echo hasnt bothered with any of the rodents, she is my good girl....

OMG, thats horrible, poor things.

i used to have 2 rats many years ago and they were just the best pets, my other half hates rats with a passion so i wont be getting any more lol, we used to breed sugar gliders until about a year ago and isha used to sit next to the giant cage in the lounge waiting for them to wake up in the evenings, i never let them out to glide when she was in the room though as she would probably jump up and grab them out of the air....... she is friends with the rabbit though and spent all last summer playing in the garden with him.

You can keep them on thier own (Splinter and Angel were onlies) but they prefer to be in groups of 2 or more, which is why I've had groups since.

We are also getting a Gambian Pouched Rat in May (they are due to be born anytime soon). I can't wait!! Our office is being taken up by a 6 foot cage!

My friend keeps sugar gliders.

It's not often you meet other people who like Rats....my Hubby had never held one til he met me, and he cried as much as I did when the girls passed.

Kodi gets locked out of the room when the rats are out....he thinks he can eat them!

I Love Rats I think they are so cool!

Here is two pics of Pickles asleep on her back in her cage in her toilet tube LOL....laugh.gif These pics make me laugh cause she cant fit her hole body in and has her head poking out the left side of the tube and her big fat bum and legs hanging out the left side. Sorry they are not very clear as they was taken on the mob. x x x x x

photo0159a.jpg

photo0160e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great pics of Pickles!! Sorry not been on for a while, been on holiday :)

MY BOYS ARE COMING HOME ON THURSDAY!!!!! Although, they are now called Emmett and Edward (as in Cullen). Hubert is now Emmett (which is what he was going to be called originally), and Alfie is now Edward. I'll upload some photos when I get them! They are about 8 weeks now. I would have had them sooner but we've been away so my friend kept them for me.

Does anyone know anyone who would be interested in buying a cage?? I have 2 I need to sell, I've been and picked up my favourite cage for my new boys.