Husky in Las Vegas

JULES78

I was gifted a husky but I live in Nevada! I love her so much and take her on walks everyday but I quickly figured out her love of cold when the season just changed and it became cooler from a long summer! I haven’t owned her in the summertime yet and I am so worried about how she’s gonna take the 💯 + degree weather here in Vegas!?! I do have a pool and that’s how I survive it! I literally swim every day! What should I do to get her to go to the bathroom outside? I know we can walk early and later at night but suggestions would be appreciated. I did not choose her breed, but I love her. She came into my life by fate, but the more I read about her breed, the more I wonder how she can live here? 

Her mom and dad obviously live in the States, and they survived.    I know of at least two huskies living in India !    You just need to take some precautions.   Build shade in your garden now  (somewhere preferably the sun never reaches) - whilst it is getting cooler  - preferably with a source of cold  (like ice - or marble) that your dog could lay on if necessary.     

If your dog was to jump in your pool to try and cool off  - could she get out easily on her own?  Do you need to build a slope/platform of some kind for her to enable to get out easily?    Her safety is obviously paramount if you are out at work.

As for her going to the bathroom  - is she not housetrained?   Or do you mean whilst you are out at work?

Don't think a fan will help  -  dogs only sweat from their paws, and also lose heat from panting.   A fan actually does next to nothing for them.    An amount of cold water (say a kiddie paddling pool in the shade) that she can walk through and possibly lay in to help her keep cool will help.     A source of cold water always available for drinking is a must.

An easy way to check if it is too hot to walk her is to find a bit of pavement in the sun  - and walk  on it in bare feet  - if it is too warm for you  - it is certainly too warm for your dog.     In the summer, even in the UK, hubby takes our two out around 4a.m - 5a.m.,  and they don't go out again until the evening.

NEVER be tempted to shave your dog  -  the double coat will actually protect her from a lot of the heat  -  and the guard hair   (outer layer of the double coat) will also reflect a lot of the UV radiation and heat.   Without the outer layer of hair, you dog could overheat and die.

I may have some other thoughts once you reply  - and hopefully other, more experienced husky owners than I will chip in  (I have only had huskies for 7 years).

As above…

permanent shade, always have fresh water available. They do know themselves what to do…mine love to sunbathe and then after a while move in the shade to cool down…