Huskies

Dovydas

Cannot really help here  - before I got my first husky I read everything I could on the internet about their personality, exercise requirements, stubbornness,  noting they must never be trusted off lead as adult dogs  (recall is almost non-existent if something catches their attention).  They have the highest high prey-drive of any breed of domestic dog - causing the majority of them not to be trusted around small furry creatures etc -  I soon realized they are not for a first time owner  - but I had had different breeds of dogs for over 40 years including a related breed (Utonagan)  - but even that did not really prepare me for a husky.   They do not like to be left alone - and a bored husky is something to be feared  -  overnight one of my boys ate the arm of my lounge chair - a couple of nights later he gave me a matching arm off my sofa  - the pictures are on here somewhere.

A husky will not obey you mindlessly like a Labrador or German Shepherd   - they are more likely to argue with you, - or even more likely - ignore you totally.    They have been selectively bred for thousands of years to not only have a mind of their own - but to think for themselves.    If you want them to do something -  they are more likely to think 'what's in it for me if I do'.   A husky will outwit you constantly  - one of mine got into a supposedly fox-proof hen run when he was under 6 months old, they are consummate escape artists.     They do not respect the old fashioned 'pack leader' type of owner  - but do react well to a co-partnership arrangement  (in my household anyway)

I could go on and on  -   but at the end of the day they are a fantastic breed of dog, I would never have any other dog now  (we have two now)  -  they keep each other company, - the longest ours are left on their own is around an hour.  Huskies can play rough and another breed of dog may not necessarily understand.      They are challenging - will keep you on your toes as an owner  - but if you survive and succeed as a husky carer - you will be rewarded with the best dog on the planet.

Start searching the internet - learn everything you can about this magnificent and unique  breed  -  it would have been better if the research had been done before you got your dog but we are where we are.      Respect your dog for the fantastic, intelligent creature he is, and you will be rewarded 10 fold,  do not expect him to change his nature to fit in with your lifestyle - you will find you adapt your lifestyle to fit your dog.     Welcome to the world of huskies.