Jump to content

Food diet


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Aditya Kotni said:

My huskys age is 1.2 years and she's a female dog. If she eats something today and she doesn't it that tomorrow I'm not understanding what to do

Welcome to the forum.  Can I ask some questions please?     

Where are you  - i.e. country, 

what are you feeding your girl.

How long have you had her   i.e.  is she new to your family with an unknown background or have you had her since she was a pup?

Does she have any dietary issues  - tummy troubles?

Is she itchy?  Does she chew her paws etc

Once we have some more information we may be able to suggest something for you  - at the moment we cannot really come up with anything sensible as we do not have enough information    -  apart from there is a possibility she is just 'fussy'  -  but having had a dog that would eat one day and not another makes me want more information.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Welcome to the forum.  Can I ask some questions please?     

Where are you  - i.e. country, 

what are you feeding your girl.

How long have you had her   i.e.  is she new to your family with an unknown background or have you had her since she was a pup?

Does she have any dietary issues  - tummy troubles?

Is she itchy?  Does she chew her paws etc

Once we have some more information we may be able to suggest something for you  - at the moment we cannot really come up with anything sensible as we do not have enough information    -  apart from there is a possibility she is just 'fussy'  -  but having had a dog that would eat one day and not another makes me want more information.sometimes she's itchy (there are no ticks on her)yes she even sometimes chews her paws. If we give her something new to eat she eats it happily.

 

I'm from India. I'm raising her since she was a pup,from more than a year.We tried feeding her almost everything just royal canin is left and we're gonna even try that.No she doesn't has and dietary issues So

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Aditya Kotni said:

I'm from India. I'm raising her since she was a,from more than a year.We tried feeding her almost everything just royal canin is left and we're gonna even try that.No she doesn't has and dietary issues So

Please don't feed Royal Canin  -  it is not a good food for any dog.     Can you try her on some raw food - or home cooked food?    Kibble of any kind is extremely high in starch - between 30-55% starch - and dogs cannot digest starch - so you are paying for half a bag of 'food' your dog cannot use/digest  -  a particular bacteria in the dog's gut can digest starch  - it is called  Fermicutees  - and it causes  inflammation inside your dog's intestines.    If circumstances dictate that you have to feed a commercial product can you look out for a freeze dried raw food - if it is available in your country?

Your dog might be just fussy  -  not liking the food she is given.      If you absolutely have to continue feeding kibble please look out for a really good brand - one with as little starch as possible.   This is easy to work out  -  on the back of the pack you will find the ingredient analysis /   guaranteed analysis  - add up all the percentages and take it away from 100   - the figure you are left with is the amount of starch in the food.  You need one that is as close to 30% as possible   (kibble needs at least 30% starch - its the only thing that holds the little bits together).

You can make kibble more nutritious by adding real food to it  - like a raw egg (whisked up) twice  a week, real meat - preferably minced but any sort of meat  (not fatty),  raw whole fish -so it includes all the organs -  (that has been frozen previously  - this will kill any parasites).  Fresh green leafy vegetables - finely minced or pureed  - broccoli, spinach, things like that.    Adding fresh foods to the kibble will not only make it more attractive to your dog (and give her some variety day to day) - but will greatly help her nutrition.   Up to 5-10% of her meal can be vegetables,    whole fish twice a week will give her many of the essential vitamins and essential amino acids her body needs not only for her body - but her brain and eyes as well.  and some meat on the other days.   Even if you only add 1/4 of the good meat/fish/veg and take out 1/4 of the kibble you will be really upping the real nutrition your dog gets out of her food.

We are a vegetarian household - but my dogs are fed raw meat/fish/vegetables  -  we choose to be vegetarian,  dogs do not get a choice - the only food available to them is what we give them.    You obviously care for your dog or you would not have come onto the forum -  please try my suggestions and see if your dog eats any better   (she will be eating healthier).      

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

Please don't feed Royal Canin  -  it is not a good food for any dog.     Can you try her on some raw food - or home cooked food?    Kibble of any kind is extremely high in starch - between 30-55% starch - and dogs cannot digest starch - so you are paying for half a bag of 'food' your dog cannot use/digest  -  a particular bacteria in the dog's gut can digest starch  - it is called  Fermicutees  - and it causes  inflammation inside your dog's intestines.    If circumstances dictate that you have to feed a commercial product can you look out for a freeze dried raw food - if it is available in your country?

Your dog might be just fussy  -  not liking the food she is given.      If you absolutely have to continue feeding kibble please look out for a really good brand - one with as little starch as possible.   This is easy to work out  -  on the back of the pack you will find the ingredient analysis /   guaranteed analysis  - add up all the percentages and take it away from 100   - the figure you are left with is the amount of starch in the food.  You need one that is as close to 30% as possible   (kibble needs at least 30% starch - its the only thing that holds the little bits together).

You can make kibble more nutritious by adding real food to it  - like a raw egg (whisked up) twice  a week, real meat - preferably minced but any sort of meat  (not fatty),  raw whole fish -so it includes all the organs -  (that has been frozen previously  - this will kill any parasites).  Fresh green leafy vegetables - finely minced or pureed  - broccoli, spinach, things like that.    Adding fresh foods to the kibble will not only make it more attractive to your dog (and give her some variety day to day) - but will greatly help her nutrition.   Up to 5-10% of her meal can be vegetables,    whole fish twice a week will give her many of the essential vitamins and essential amino acids her body needs not only for her body - but her brain and eyes as well.  and some meat on the other days.   Even if you only add 1/4 of the good meat/fish/veg and take out 1/4 of the kibble you will be really upping the real nutrition your dog gets out of her food.

We are a vegetarian household - but my dogs are fed raw meat/fish/vegetables  -  we choose to be vegetarian,  dogs do not get a choice - the only food available to them is what we give them.    You obviously care for your dog or you would not have come onto the forum -  please try my suggestions and see if your dog eats any better   (she will be eating healthier).      

 

We are even feeding her fresh home food,frozen food,eggs daily,raw food, vegetables everything you mentioned,as you said mostly she's just fussy. I've even read in many sites that huskys do not eat the same repeated food continuosly, Anyways thanks a lot for your advice. Also can we try IAMS or taste of the wild anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aditya Kotni said:

We are even feeding her fresh home food,frozen food,eggs daily,raw food, vegetables everything you mentioned,as you said mostly she's just fussy. I've even read in many sites that huskys do not eat the same repeated food continuosly, Anyways thanks a lot for your advice. Also can we try IAMS or taste of the wild anything?

I have two huskies  - one will eat the same thing for almost a week (but he is a rescue and survived on what he could for a long time) - but my other boy will only eat the same thing for 2 days maximum  - which is why I suggested adding different things to kibble  - you did not mention that you had also tried everything else you possibly could.    If you have a dog that likes variety - then is there a way you could  devise a diet for her that will allow a 'different' meal daily  i.e.    meat and veg one day,  meat and fish the next day,  kibble and meat one day,   i.e.  limit her to 3 or 4 different things - but  alter one thing every day leaving the other 2 things the same as the day before?   Does that make sense?    Have you tried giving her a meal and if she will not eat it   - taking the meal away and trying her 3 or 4 hours later?    If she still wont eat take it away and don't feed her till the next day.       If your dog is healthy then missing a day's food will not hurt her as long as she has access to lots of water.    I intentionally 'fast' my dogs once a week   -  they just get bone broth and a little offal  around 12 noon and nothing else till the next day   - dogs are used to  'feast and famine'  - their bodies have been accustomed to this for the whole of the time they have been around on planet earth. 

Also if you could make bone broth - you could give her that if she wont eat the food  - that way she will be getting a LOT of nutrition  - but very little to fill her stomach for any length of time so she would be really hungry the next day.   Taste of the wild I understand is one of the better foods   (I have never fed it so don't know from first hand experience).   It is not a good idea to feed a dog cat food  - it is too high in Taurine which for cats is an essential amino acid (they will die without it)  - but dogs make their own by utilising two other amino acids  methionine and cysteine   (like us making Vitamin D from the sun).   The nutrient profiles for cats and dogs are different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more you swap foods the fussier you'll make her , my boy will sometimes go days without eating , then he will eat , so long as she's not loosing weight/condition and acting fine (not lethargic etc) then try not to worry , she'll eat when she's hungry 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy , along with dressing your husky as a unicorn on the first Thursday of each month