I don't know what to do.

erich

I can get 7 week old alaskan husky/malamute puppy for $100 from a musher or a 9 month old alaskan husky/malamute mix who has experience in a team for $50 or a pure breed akc siberian husky pup with chapionship bloodlines who will not be available for adoption until Feb 21st for $750. I like them all but can't have more than 2 pets where I am living at this time. I have a cat and know older dogs sometimes have difficulty adjusting to cats but I fell in love with him and the 2 pups. I don't want them to have to go to another home, because I know they will love the pampering I give my animal family members. I am really confused I want all three but know I can't have all three. I guess I'm kind of looking for guidance, my wife and kids can't decide which one they want more.:confused:

The only place I would buy a crossbreed from is the pound or a rescue. And I wouldn't buy a pup - I would buy an adult.

I personally stick with purebreds because I like to know what I am getting and you don't get that when you cross breed, because genetically you can't control which traits of each breed your pup will end up with. I find mallies and Sibes quite different dogs and wouldn't want a cross between the two - but that is because I adore Sibes and am not as big a fan of mals (I don't think they suit my lifestyle).

Each to their own but the only place I will ever buy a pup or dog from is a rescue, or an ethical, registered breeder who health tests their dogs and supplies them with papers. The initial cost of buying a dog is nothing compared to what ongoing costs are like - I have a small crossbreed dog here that cost less than half the price of my two purebreds, but has cost a lot more over the years due to health problems. A well bred pup from an ethical breeder is worth the wait! :)

In your situation I would 100% go with the puppy - I would never trust and adult sibe or mallie that has not been around cats (or many spitz breeds) due to their high prey drives.

I tend to agree with Smeagle, but I would add, it does depend upon what you want to do with your pup. The two crossbreeds, may well be very hyperactive (the Alaskan Husky part of the mix) and not make a particularly good house pet. On the other hand, if you want to get into mushing, they could be ideal for that purpose. If you wanted to show your dog, the AKC puppy is your only option.

On balance, I agree with Smeagle that the AKC pup is probably the best option, but you need to be aware that not all sibes can coexist with cats, even when they are brought up with them from baby puppies.

Good Luck with your decision

Mick

I tend to agree with Smeagle, but I would add, it does depend upon what you want to do with your pup. The two crossbreeds, may well be very hyperactive (the Alaskan Husky part of the mix) and not make a particularly good house pet. On the other hand, if you want to get into mushing, they could be ideal for that purpose. If you wanted to show your dog, the AKC puppy is your only option.

On balance, I agree with Smeagle that the AKC pup is probably the best option, but you need to be aware that not all sibes can coexist with cats, even when they are brought up with them from baby puppies.

Good Luck with your decision

Mick

Good point Mick - I forgot to mention how different a sibe cross bred to be a high drive working dog can compare to a dog bred to be a mixture of things (show dog, pet, racing dog).

I also meant to add that if the OP wants a Sibe, to think really hard before getting an Alaskan husky malamute cross, because the dog could end up quite different to what he wants. Sibes are a challenging breed for any owner, experienced or novice, and mixing a mallie and a working line Sibe you could end up with more "dog" than you initially wanted.

I adore my cat as much as I adore my dogs, and I won't risk her by bringing in an adult dog that is a breed or breed/s known for their incredible prey drive. Even if you think you can keep them separated - it takes seconds for an accident to happen. IMO - the best (and only) chance you have at getting a Sibe and a cat to co-exist is to get the Sibe from early puppy hood.