9 Year old Male didn't start Shedding until November, very thin coat in Cold Wiscosnin Winter!

lcolby

Our 9 year old Pure White Husky, had an unusual shedding season. He did not shed at all over the very hot summer, we consulted our Vet and many other owners. The overwhelming opinion was that they can fluctuate and not to worry. We thought maybe he would just skip it altogether, we tried to keep him cool all summer ! Finally in November he started and now he is really blowing it out. The problem now of course is that it is getting really cold, normally not a problem for him. Primarily he stays outside, he has a warm house and additional shelter. We noticed he was actually shivering! We had to take action, bought a thick pad to sleep on and a jacket , yes a JACKET for a Husky! After a lot of brushing and a couple weeks later he is coming inside more often, the problem I see is that we don't know if or when he will return to a normal routine? Will this be the new normal?  He is on prednisone for a neck issue, the Vet dose not think this is the problem... I'm not sure.

Any tips, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks , Larry and Shelley

Husky"Walker"

IMG_5871.jpg

One of my boys sheds nearly all the time  - and three or four times a year he does a major shed - i.e. blows his coat.  The other one did not shed until he was around 3 - just at the start of winter, then last year (aged 5) - again at the start of winter, and this year he shed after a bath in late August. He is shedding now as well - but as he is a woolly he is not that easy to get the fur off!    There seems to be no rhyme or reason with either.   I am sure your boy wont need his lovely blue coat long.

Perhaps entice him to stay inside the house for the next few weeks  - until his new coat starts to grow?????   One of my boys (the one who is currently shedding) - loves to go outside for a few hours each evening  - but currently it is blowing a gale and I am worried about our fencing !  A storm is blowing in (according to the warnings anyway) - tomorrow should be 'interesting'.

Good luck with your boy  - but if temps are getting low then I would keep him in the house  - and the snow in the piccies says it is low!   I live in an area that has its own micro-climate  - only seen snow that stayed for a few days 4/5 times in the last 30 years  -  but the surrounding areas 10 miles away may be under 6 ft drifts.   One advantage of living with the sea lapping almost at the doorstep I suppose.