INTRODUCTION- HELLO and FOOD INQUIRY

SAMIAM

HI,

My name is Caryn and Sam is my new Husky. She is somewhere around 1 year old. I saved her from the pound. Actually got her out earlier then she was supposed to be let out . These two jerks in the neighborhood next to me claim they found her and took her there immediately (less than. 10 hours after finding her) without looking for her owner(s). I followed and adopted her instantly. Unfortunately she had to stay because she had a microchip. However it had no info on it Not even that it belonged to a dog or cat, an address or name etc. Nada! 

Anyway, she is now safe with me and legally belongs to me. On another note we have had a very rough time with food. We are still on chicken and rice as the diarrhea and mushy stools has been up and down. I wanted to know what food you suggest? First I want and have to get her off chicken as I have read many places that is a NO for huskies. Second she needs minerals etc asap. Please let me know what kind of food you suggest. 

Was thinking Natural Balance LID with Salmon and not sure but sweet potato or brown rice? Or what combo? 

Thanks again and so glad this forum exists along with all of you Husky lovers. 

Best 

Caryn

IMG_6988.jpg

IMG_6991.jpg

Lovely looking dog.    How do you know she needs minerals?   I would suggest a raw diet for her  -   try her on raw egg   -  or even a slightly scrambled egg to start with.    Without knowing her problem  - I cannot really suggest anything.     I am a raw dog food nutritionist   -   I can suggest meals for you  -  however without more information I would be flying blind.

Try the egg first to see if she will eat it   -  and how she would react to it.  Sweet potato is supposed to work for the runs (but that is only what I have read - never used it) -  however if you can get hold of some psyllum seeds and put them in her food (about 2 teaspoons)  - they should help to dry her up for a bit anyway.       They will absorb the liquid in her gut.

Give me as much info as you can and I will try to help.         In the meantime go to the  Dogs Naturally website  (USA based)  they have soil-based pro and prebiotics, - look and see what they have to help you.     However I would also consider that your dog may have a food allergy  (my husky has 9)  I agree to stay away from chicken - far too much fat  - on top of that they are one of the worst-fed animals on the planet  (the saying 'you are what you eat'  is really true.     

I would like to start her on dry food to see if not having that is the problem. Also would like a Salmon based food. Was thinking acacia or orijen. 

Ive heard Natural balance LID salmon but then someone posted their food has changed. 

Foods I have heard good things about- need no chicken or eggs

1. acana - wild Atlantic although fish has no grains and isn't salmon

2. orijen- high protein and no grains so not sure this would be good? 

3. Merrick -but what kid? their grain free has potato and sweet potato 

4. natural balance 

Nulo- salmon and peas

One thing to bear in mind is that dogs have no nutritional requirement for starch - their bodies have to work hard to get rid of it  - and starch is the only thing that holds kibble  ANY kibble together.     I have never fed kibble, so for me, it would be like swapping deckchairs on the Titanic I am afraid.       Many dogs are becoming allergic to grains  -  one of my boys is,   so try to at least avoid them.    Peas is another common allergen.

If you want the convenience of kibble  -  have you thought of freeze-dried raw?    At least you are guaranteed to be giving far less starch.  It works out about the same price as the best quality kibble but as far as nutrition is concerned its on a different planet. 

Hopefully someone on here can advise on kibble feeding for you and suggest a good quality one.  

Just had a thought  -  if you are convinced she needs minerals  (and I assume vitamins etc)  then there is a company called Keizebrink that does a supplement for raw fed dogs  -  it contains every single vitamin, mineral, amino acid, trace element etc that a dog needs  -  they are an international company I believe  so you should be able to order it in the USA.      However if you try to order it online it wont let you as the system is set up for raw foods  - you have to ring and they do it manually.    For the runs pre and probiotics are a good idea,  and maybe a digestive enzyme.      Herbally   slippery elm powder is absolutely excellent for the runs (and also works for constipation)  -  it also helps to coat the lining of the intestines so helps in cases of intestinal inflammation.   Usually mixed with a little water (it gels up in water) - but can be sprinkled directly onto food  (provided it is not kibble obviously - it would fall off)  for a normal sized husky around 3/4 - 1 teaspoon with food should be sufficient.   Do not give to a dog that might be pregnant.

I feed mine a holistic protein pellet free of grain and artificial tastemakers, it is a Dutch brand doubt you can find it in the USA .. the brand here is FarmFood …

OK   you are going to have to either feed raw food  -  in which case I can help you  -  or do the research yourself  - kibble is the worst food on the planet (and I dont care what brand you use - you are feeding nutritionally dead food - all vitamins and enzymes are destroyed during the manufacturing process) -  that has been then subjected to  artificially constructed chemical vitamins and minerals,  2nd worst is tinned dog food,  (in my opinion).

I fully admit I am biased  -  but I am also a qualified dog food nutritionist.